• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR Help Barrel question Please help!!!

Going postal:

Your experience is why I generally won't buy a used AR, or any other rifle that is tempting to rapid fire, and then over heat. Even bolt action guns in some smaller calibers (223, 243, 260) can be shot out by hot rodding hand loaders.

Johnson: glad things are looking up for you.

Going postal:

Your experience is why I generally won't buy a used AR, or any other rifle that is tempting to rapid fire, and then over heat. Even bolt action guns in some smaller calibers (223, 243, 260) can be shot out by hot rodding hand loaders.

Johnson: glad things are looking up for you.

The only used part I bought was the barrel, and yep, it taught me a lesson. Oh, BTW, I don't rapid fire any gun I own, ammo costs too much.

That used barrel had to have suffered from a poorly drilled gas port from the factory, which is probably why it was a "take off". If small enough, you can remove the bur with a brass rod and lap the barrel to smooth it back out. Now with a chrome lined barrel, you can run into issues. Not worth messing with if you see it from the factory though, just better to send it back to be swapped for a better quality product.

That used barrel had to have suffered from a poorly drilled gas port from the factory, which is probably why it was a "take off". If small enough, you can remove the bur with a brass rod and lap the barrel to smooth it back out. Now with a chrome lined barrel, you can run into issues. Not worth messing with if you see it from the factory though, just better to send it back to be swapped for a better quality product.

Or, the barrel was completely shot out. Groups typically open up quite a bit before the barrel starts keyholing. It's possible that the "take off" barrel had been shot to the point that it failed a throat erosion gauge and was pulled from service then sold off.

It's not uncommon for a burr to be present at the gas port and they usually disappear with a little shooting or hand lapping. I've never heard of one that affected grouping like that. Not saying it can't happen, but the port must have been drilled with a butter knife. Not knowing the source of the barrel makes me think that it may have had more serious issues than a simple burr.

Or, the barrel was completely shot out. Groups typically open up quite a bit before the barrel starts keyholing. It's possible that the "take off" barrel had been shot to the point that it failed a throat erosion gauge and was pulled from service then sold off.

It's not uncommon for a burr to be present at the gas port and they usually disappear with a little shooting or hand lapping. I've never heard of one that affected grouping like that. Not saying it can't happen, but the port must have been drilled with a butter knife. Not knowing the source of the barrel makes me think that it may have had more serious issues than a simple burr.

completely agree with the barrel probably being shot out and a few rounds clearing a bur(which happens 99% of the time without even people knowing one was there). But if the statement is true, it would have to have been a very poor drill and probably some CL flaking/peeling. Though, that would have made for some interesting shooting...

completely agree with the barrel probably being shot out and a few rounds clearing a bur(which happens 99% of the time without even people knowing one was there). But if the statement is true, it would have to have been a very poor drill and probably some CL flaking/peeling. Though, that would have made for some interesting shooting...

Yeah, but Apex sells alot of surplus parts. The barrel being described as a "military take off" leads me to believe that it was probably well past its service life. Gas ports can get gnarly as they erode, creating a jagged, elongated hole caused by flame cutting over thousands and thousands of rounds. Note, he couldn't see a burr, but the boresnake caught on something. You can usually see a burr from drilling. I'm pretty sure that barrel was just plain worn out.

ETA- erosion at the throat and crown generally create larger than normal groups and are telltale signs that it's time to replace the barrel. Right after that, you start getting nice, elongated holes in the target. ;)

There are some great observations on barrel wear here:
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

Last edited:
ok I just built a rifle with an 18" 1/8 twist socom barrel midlength gas system and a troy muzzle break if i need to give more details i can i was using basic federal ammo 55gr and cant get a group better than like 8" but with my dpms i can get 1" groups with the same ammo did i do something wrong with my build or did i get a bad barrel ???

You install it the right direction.....?

Back
Top Bottom