• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR-15 won't extract UPDATE: Fixed

So for an update… I dropped the upper off last Saturday and he called me Sunday saying he could find anything out of the ordinary other than the bolt didn't drop easily into battery. It was somehow binding on the gas tube. New gas tube and the bolt moves as smooth as glass. However I went and shot it today and it extracted 0 out of 13 rounds.

The most frustrating thing is I can't replace these rounds I'm shooting right now. And I'm not enjoying shooting them bc the gun isn't working properly.

So where do I go from here? Replace the extractor? Heavier buffer? One of those extractor upgrade kits?

Parker, if I were I am your shoes, I'd quit wasting my time with a problem child and request a refund. This guy apparently isn't knowledgeable enough to figure out what the problem is and shouldn't be assembling guns for sale. What ever came of the barrel extension issue?

Yep, and people pay Fulton Armory and many others way too much for the same thing. If the gas system is choked up and extractor weak there are problems. But... Aft examining the pics he posted there is an even darker ailment I'm afraid. Whomever assembled it had HUA.

Shrek, what do you suspect is going on here? Chamber out of spec?

Last edited:
I've met Jay and he's a nice guy, and I purchased one of his uppers a while back and it functions flawlessly. That said doesn't mean he knows what's going on & I can't comment on his skills. I know from what he told me last time we talked how backlogged he was, but that s no excuse for building an upper like that. If you get the extraction issue fixed, you WILL have feeding issues eventually as others have said. If I had received your upper I believe I could fix it, but I wouldn't. I would be at Sky everyday until it was fixed or replaced. Refund wouldn't really be an option for me, where you gonna get another?
If he wont fix or replace it, you should take up one of the offers of help from the forum members. I live in Douglasville and work in Carrollton, and make the same offer.,

Shrek, what do you suspect is going on here? Chamber out of spec?

Honestly, with it functioning enough to lock the BCG back it sounds like chamber/ extractor (per OP descriptions). He has a non-M4 barrel in an M4 upper... If everything else is mismatched there could be several contributing factors. Honestly, I would take it all the way down and reassemble it fitting every component. Only way to conform the underlying problem.

I don't really want to take it back for a refund. I would rather have this one fixed due to the availability of parts, which is what Jay wants to do… when he gets parts.

I don't really want to take it back for a refund. I would rather have this one fixed due to the availability of parts, which is what Jay wants to do… when he gets parts.

I understand your predicament. But I'm not convinced that he has the ability to determine the actual problem. I'm building two ARs for friends right now. By the time we're done, we will have managed to complete 2 high quality guns in the midst of the worst panic most of us have ever seen. And we will have done it without paying panic prices. Parts are available, you just have to be patient and keep a constant watch.

If you're not up for that, see if Shrek can build you one and get your money back from Skyguns. From what I've seen so far, I wouldn't trust him to swap out the float in my toilet bowl, much less build me an AR.

Seems to me like the only things it could be would be the extractor or the chamber. And I'm leaning toward the chamber. The extractor works when I manually eject via the charging handle. Maybe the chamber is to tight and there is too much pressure when the bolt blows back and the ejector slips off. How would I check the chamber?

Seems to me like the only things it could be would be the extractor or the chamber. And I'm leaning toward the chamber. The extractor works when I manually eject via the charging handle. Maybe the chamber is to tight and there is too much pressure when the bolt blows back and the ejector slips off. How would I check the chamber?

That's my suspicion as well. You would need a set of chamber gauges. Ned Christiansen makes a good chamber gauge. Shrek may have the ability to check the chamber dimensions or better yet, the ability to ream it to proper dimensions.

Back
Top Bottom