• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR-15 won't extract UPDATE: Fixed

Parker

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
26   0
Reaction score
Hello,

I need help, my AR-15 won't extract spend casings. I have to put one round in at a time, shoot, then drop the bolt back down on the spent casing, and then pull the charging handle to manually eject the spend case. It looks like extractor is slipping off of the case.

I figured it was just a dirty chamber so I cleaned it, but when I went out and shot again today it did the same thing. It is a brand new AR.

Now I don't know what to do. Is it the chamber? the extractor? something with the gas system?

I'm going to take the upper back to the place I bought it from and let them fix it, I was just hoping maybe it would be something simple that I can fix myself.

any ideas?

IMG_7080small.jpgIMG_7083small.jpgIMG_7086small.jpgIMG_7087small.jpgIMG_7088small.jpgIMG_7090small.jpgIMG_7091small.jpg

UPDATE for those who don't want to read the whole thread.

Sky guns replaced the upper. Upon their examination of it they concluded it was a bad extractor spring. The replacement upper functions just fine, and they were able to get the parts together fairly quickly even in today's shortages. They could not however find a barrel with the m4 cut extension at the time so they used one with a rifle cut extension. Now (2-24) they have both a3 uppers or m4 barrels and have offered to swap whichever to make it right. All in all, I am happy with the gun and the service from Sky Guns. Every company is going to have issues sometimes, for me it's how they handle it that makes them a worth while company or not. I would buy from them again.

Last edited:
here are some things to check... are you using 5.56 or 223? If 223 is it pmc brand... that has very low pressure and could be a sign of another issue.
take some clp( lubricant) and spray the bolt carrier down all arround the gas key... then take an air compresser with a rubber tip and put it in the gas key hole ...if there are bubbles arround base of gas key then you have a leaky gas key seal.... dont worry about using too mutch pressure because it is designed to take much more than you will produce with a compressor.

what does it do with a full magazine in the rifle?

Federal .223 bullets. If I put more than one round in the mag it tries to jam the second round into the not extracted first round.

I'll check the gas key seal tonight when I get home.

Last edited:
Check the gas tube alignment , usually that's the problem. If you put a rail on it there's where I'd start

Can I ask what make/model rifle it is? I notice that you have what appears to be a rifle feed ramp extension on an M4 cut receiver. [Broken External Image]: That could cause reliability issues. Check the gas tube. The extractor could be the issue, as well. Could try a BCM extractor upgrade kit. Keep us posted!

Start at the extractor spring, move to the feed ramp, ammunition, gas tube detent on top of bolt carrier, then check stoppages in gas tube, then check gas tube at gas block for correct barrel alignment.

Could be weak gas, and weak extractor, and/or a burr in the chamber. Guessing from the m4 receiver and rifled barrel this was a parts gun not from a reputable manufacturer?

My AR did the same thing after I put about 20 rounds through it. Found out it was the gas block after spending countless hours taking it apart and checking parts, then shooting it. Try what Sheepdog said, he knows his stuff. If those things don't work I'd check the gas block

Back
Top Bottom