• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone who started on a 600 or 6R bike?

That Honda HQ also has a dirtbike school. Took my 2 young boys there to learn how to ride. Learning in the dirt will make you a better overall rider on the street.

I'm gonna advocate starting on the Suzuki GS500, non fairing model. I like it because its relatively simple bike. 2 cylinders, air cooled, reliable, fairly light and good handling, only 40-50 hp, pretty inexpensive to get one under $2000, plenty of power to pass cars on the hwy, etc... I bought one and eventually ended up with 3. They have a forum at gstwins.com.

Started on a zx6r and never had any issues. If youre mildly coordinated youll be fine. Dont waste your money on anything smaller than 600cc's though... Youll be disappointed

First bike was a 2002 R6 sold it and bought a 2005 R6, had a little girl and sold both but have thought of buying another one quite frequently.

I don't think I'll have wrist management problem. I appreciate all the information! I will look at the used cheaper small bikes but if I can't find one for price I want, I will go with a ZX 6R or gsxr600 or cbr600rr or Yamaha R6.

I trained on a 125cc cruiser when I took a MSF, soon after bought a 2005 Kawasaki 636 and had no problem riding that around. I plan on selling it soon since I don't care for the forward riding position as much. It can be a pain if riding for longer than an hour.

If I were to buy another bike I'd want a dual-sport style like the BMW 650GS, Triumph Tiger XC or Scrambler, or a Kawasaki KLR.

I don't think any one has asked or mentioned I f you have driven a manual car on a regular basis. If so then the basic functions of controlling a bike will come naturally. If not then best to stick to the dirt for a while.

who will you be riding with and where do you plan to ride? Do you have friends that ride? what are they riding? that should have some bearing on what bike you might want to consider. I rode a 45hp naked bike for years and even raced it for a few years (after mods it was up to a whopping 52hp) but it handled great and was one of the best do it all bikes on the market and way ahead of it's time (NT650 Honda Hawk GT). IMHO it's one of the best entry level bikes, as you can grow into it with no problems. It will teach you how to ride vs how to twist the throttle. I've had a few 600's (R6's) and liter bikes, but will probably buy another Hawk in the future, it's just a fun bike to ride. if you are a good rider you don't need cc's to go fast. :)

take the MSF class and use their bikes to get your license. Soon after you get your street bike, take a track day class and learn to actually ride the bike. At least if that's your plan. if you just want to cruise around town that's fine, but if you really have any interest in unlocking the potential of the bike, get on the track and have someone teach you to actually ride. A good 600cc bike is a gas on the track but even then you'l find that good riders on 250's on tight tracks can run circles around you. It's all about the corner speed....

my opinion is to buy something that has been dropped. if you are just learning to ride you will drop you bike. it might just be in the parking lot it might be at speed but I'd wager that you'll drop it in the first year of ownership. If you buy one that's "pre dropped" it doesn't sting as much when it happens. :)

IMHO buy something without as much bodywork. Triumph Street Triple R was my wifes street/track bike. great bike, easy to ride, low seat height, good suspension and brakes, and just a great all around bike. the triple motor has more torque than most 4 cylinder bikes, so it's a bit easier to ride without having the wring the t*ts off it. Just a suggestion. But at the end of the day buy what floats your boat. riding is about putting a grin on your face and enjoying life. it's not about convenience and commuting for most. I had always wanted a liter bike at some point so I bought one and loved riding it for a few years. Track days and long mountain rides. 08 CBR1000rr. excellent bikes and just fun to ride. I sold it about a year ago as I just don't ride as much on the street and was mainly using it for track days. Now I mostly ride dual sport and dirt bikes. I would guess my next street bike may be a KTM 1290 super duke. That looks like a fun one. ;)

I had an r6 but started on a Buell blast got an xr1200 now I advise loses of young riders to get a cheap beginner bike. Something that won't overpower them while they learn the road hazards. It's not how to ride bit how to Avoid getting hit by traffic. Seems pretty small but it is priceless. The r6 I rode was a powerhouse and I have raced many liter bikes and won or kept up. The repli-racer is a very powerful machine even a 600. I recomend getting the most expensive bike you will kick over that will last six months. So if it hits the ground no sweat off your back. But to take the test get a enduro or standard it will be easier to do the low speed maneuvers. On Sundays and Mondays the dds is closed so you can go practice in the lot it's painted on the ground. The motorcycle Manuel has the test diagram in the back. That way you won't flunk and have to pay extra for something silly. Well good luck.

Buy at least a 600. I wouldn't buy anything you have to lay down to drive. Once you get use to the bike you'll feel you've outgrown it and want something else if you get something to low. If you think you can handle it, go 750.

I love riding a bike but, cars are so much better as a main vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom