• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone who started on a 600 or 6R bike?

Learn wrist management. It's not the size but the operator.
^x2 on this.

I used to ride dirt bikes as a kid. My first street bike was a Suzuki GS500. Fun bike, no fairings to bust up in case I dropped it (which I never did btw). Fun bike to get your skills honed on. Then I eventually had the opportunity to ride other bikes from 650cc to 1600cc on a regular basis and settled on an FZ1. That was a fun bike. It's all in the wrist.

Btw- took my MSF at Honda HQ in Alpharetta and highly recommend that facility. All new bikes.

Good luck.

My little brother and I bought an XR600 back in the mid-80's. We had mini bikes before then, but that was the first real scooter we had. Bad idea. He about met his maker a couple of times, and I made damn sure that fenders and teenage resiliency were tested on a weekly basis.

As an adult, I rode Harleys for many years. I'd always tell newbies to cut their teeth on something disposable before committing to a bike that they'll cry over when it is laying on it's side, and trust me...all newbies will lay it down sooner or later.

Older 600s are great. A little heavier but more forgiving in terms of throttle management. My first bike was a 1998 Yamaha 600R. Good bike. Then I brought my 2008 600RR after about 8 months. It wasn't as terrifying as people made it seem.

Someone mentioned wrist management. Well if only it were that easy. You want to be concerned with as little as possible when you're new. Think about it in terms of breaking your attention into $1.00 or 100%. How much are you going to be spending on watching traffic, watching road conditions, watching dogs that will jump out into the street after you, feeling what your bike is doing, thinking about where you're going and tell me how much you got left over for things like throttle application. The less you spend on one the more you'll have to spend on other things.

For what it's worth I can ride circles around guys on liter bikes in the mountains. Conversely there's guys on 250s that can whip me on a small track like Little Tally.

I plan to get the bike AFTER I take the msf class. Who knows? I might not like riding but chances are I will since I been researching for my first bike. According to you guys, mid range cc is good to start. Yeah I didn't want a small engine and have to trade it later. I'm not speed demon or dare devil so I won't need anything that powerful! Enough to pass most cars on highway that's if I ever get the guts to get the highway. This bike is more for pleasure and some commute.

I plan to get the bike AFTER I take the msf class. Who knows? I might not like riding but chances are I will since I been researching for my first bike. According to you guys, mid range cc is good to start. Yeah I didn't want a small engine and have to trade it later. I'm not speed demon or dare devil so I won't need anything that powerful! Enough to pass most cars on highway that's if I ever get the guts to get the highway. This bike is more for pleasure and some commute.

I wouldn't worry about selling a 250. They are the most popular starter bike and as such people often get what they paid for it when they sell it.

I wouldn't worry about selling a 250. They are the most popular starter bike and as such people often get what they paid for it when they sell it.

Yeah I hear that a lot but all the used ones are pretty much brand new prices. I rather fork out $300 more to get new one lol. I've google all the bike forums and I see that as answer to newbs who say "I want 1000c to start because I don't want to have to sell the 250 after a week". Well I did a little bit of search for used bikes and most of them are like $3,500 to $4,000. BRANDNEW one is like $4,500.

Yeah I hear that a lot but all the used ones are pretty much brand new prices. I rather fork out $300 more to get new one lol. I've google all the bike forums and I see that as answer to newbs who say "I want 1000c to start because I don't want to have to sell the 250 after a week". Well I did a little bit of search for used bikes and most of them are like $3,500 to $4,000. BRANDNEW one is like $4,500.

Because its true. What year 250 are you looking for? I'd get an older one like 2000ish

I always recommend to people who have never operated a motorcycle to start on a smaller dirt bike in a big grassy field. As Laz mentioned, there are so many other distractions and things going on when you are on the street. The last thing you should be concerned with is how to properly manipulate a clutch or any other basic motorcycle functions.

You may not get a second chance if you mess up learning on road. That's why I think starting in a more forgiving setting is the way to go. Remember to always stay focused. Don't let your guard down. You'll find out really quick how many drivers are oblivious and don't see you or don't care.

I always recommend to people who have never operated a motorcycle to start on a smaller dirt bike in a big grassy field. As Laz mentioned, there are so many other distractions and things going on when you are on the street. The last thing you should be concerned with is how to properly manipulate a clutch or any other basic motorcycle functions.

Solid advice. When you hear the same thing over and over you should listen.

You may not get a second chance if you mess up learning on road. That's why I think starting in a more forgiving setting is the way to go. Remember to always stay focused. Don't let your guard down. You'll find out really quick how many drivers are oblivious and don't see you or don't care.

I cant begin to tell you how observant riding makes you. You notice people doing dumb stuff when they suppose to be driving. And you will begin to read people and tell what they are going to before they do it.

Back
Top Bottom