• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone who started on a 600 or 6R bike?

No2sc2

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
37   1
Reaction score
Anyone who started on those bikes as their first bikes? Can I get some advice from you guys? Taking my msf class end of May. A buddy of mine suggested something small like 250-350 but says 600 is doable. Probably don't advise on anything higher than 750.

I had a Honda CBR 600 F4I and it was pretty dang fast. I started on dirt bikes though. You should be able to handle a 600 for your first bike.

My first and only was a Gsx-r 600. What type of info bro? It might sound elementary but, I rode my friends bikes around the neighborhood and empty parking lots a bunch of times to get used to how it handled. I only had ridden four wheelers but, that helped with the clutch, breaking etc. I liked my Suzuki because when I rode, it allowed me to lean more on the gas tank and made leaning/turning easier for me. My friends dad took the road course on a Honda Shadow and failed. He has been riding for year but, a lot of the Stop/go/accelerate exercises screwed him up. Just like lots do with a car, I'd grab some objects or cones & go into a empty parking lot one day. Look online or ask one of these guys how the courses are set up.

Last edited:
My first bike was a Yamaha 400. That lasted about a week. Next was a Kawasaki KZ650. Loved that bike. I've owned a few Magnas and even a VMax. Still miss the KZ650 the most.

As long as you are comfortable and can maneuver the bike, you will pass. It doesn't matter which cc as long as you are comfortable with it. I ride all kinds by mainly a R6.

Do you have any experience on a bike? If you're taking the MSF class in May, just use one of the bikes provided and see how you do. 600's are great starter bikes for the right person. You don't have to use the higher rev's until you get more time in the seat and learn throttle control.

600's are for girls, and also for humiliating 1 liter bikes in the mountains.

Find a bike you're comfortable on, 250/500/1000 doesnt matter. If you plan to ride with any regularity you'll outgrow a small displacement bike fast. Start in the mid range 500/600-750's, none of which are overly powerful but will run with most bigger bikes as your skill increases.

Back
Top Bottom