• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody shoot a .357 Magnum snubbie?

My current carry is a .38 (+P capable), but I want an upgrade. I bought a 9mm with 17 rounds, but I am a girl, and carry in my purse. So I'm starting to think a revolver really is more my style. I think I'd like a .357 carry weapon, but someone told me they thought it would be too much for me to handle.

I'm not the most experienced shooter. I do okay, am a decent shot and like to carry. But I don't want to konk myself in the head with the recoil of a gun that is too big for me. I know I can rent one and try it out, but are there any users out there, particularly any ladies, or people with smaller hands, that have experiences they would like to share with me?
If you are shooting +p with PD ammo then I don't think you are gaining enough to warrant a switch and has been suggested you may actually be giving up somethings. Now if you just 'want' another gun, well... far be it from me or anyone to disuade you. I'm in the market for a snubbie as well. I have no problems shooting hot loads in a .44 mag. Doesn't bother me one bit. I will be perfectly happy to find a .38 +p (almost perferred if I get more capacity) and if I find a .357 I strongly suspect it will simply get loaded with +p anyway. I think your concerns about 'snagging' the hammer are unfounded and I personally and specifically want a SA/DA. But obviously it's about what makes YOU comfortable.
Enjoy your practice day and good luck in your search!

How do these nearly year old threads get resurrected? I'm guessing the OP has either got a .357 or not by now.

It got "Reborn" because I FINALLY had a chance to get out & run the "5x5x5" Drill & I THOUGHT that others might find my results interesting...PLEASE accept my MOST HUMBLE APOLOGY...I'm SORRY if my "Late Reply" wasn't TIMELY ENOUGH for you... :) ....mikey357

It got "Reborn" because I FINALLY had a chance to get out & run the "5x5x5" Drill & I THOUGHT that others might find my results interesting...PLEASE accept my MOST HUMBLE APOLOGY...I'm SORRY if my "Late Reply" wasn't TIMELY ENOUGH for you... :) ....mikey357

I personally thought the info you posted was very useful. I'm about to start hand loading my 357 ammo and i have 158 grain and the 125 grain bullets so I'm going to do some testing and post my results here as well. I'll be firing these through three guns. A Smith and Wesson 327 night guard. A ruger gp100 6 inch and finally a ruger lcr.

Been a long time ago but... I bought a Taurus Titanium .357 snub. Took it home fired it
packed it up and took it straight back and traded it for a Sigma .40. That SOB was so light
the recoil was unbearable.

I personally thought the info you posted was very useful. I'm about to start hand loading my 357 ammo and i have 158 grain and the 125 grain bullets so I'm going to do some testing and post my results here as well. I'll be firing these through three guns. A Smith and Wesson 327 night guard. A ruger gp100 6 inch and finally a ruger lcr.

Thanks...I'm of the opinion that MORE Info is usually a good thing...Lookin' forward to YOUR Report...BTW, in Re-reading my LAST Post, the "Tongue-In-Cheek" tone I had intended doesn't seem to have "Come Thru" very well, so I'd like to EXTEND THE OLIVE BRANCH to Mr. B. Byrd...No offense was intended!....mikey357

No matter when this began the next time I get the urge to shoot 158 357 from a J frame I will simply slam my hand in the truck door and save myself some pain.

No need to get snotty about it. I'm not criticizing your very fine post. I'm just curious how an old post gets started up again. It happens occasionally and I have wondered how an old post gets revived.

Back
Top Bottom