• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody got good plans for a picnic table?

calebp

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
Looking to build one. Needs to seat eight in some form of either rectangle or square configuration. Detachable benches would be ideal as I would think they provide a smaller footprint when not in use but attached is not a deal breaker. Will live outside on an uncovered porch in the elements on a 20x20 wood deck. Can’t be massive, too many other grills and a fire pit as is. Will be replaccing a smaller outdoor table. Will be used for eating, playing cards and games with kids, and general wood table uses. Not looking for fancy but not looking for splinters. Just a nice clean functional picnic style bench. Ideally <$500, under three would be even better. Not sure if that’s feasible.

Thanks!
Caleb

My mother bought a picnic table from Smith Ace hardware in the early 1980s and she asked me to throw it out for her when it was getting loose and wobbly around the year 2012.

Instead, I replaced the screws with new larger deck screws and added just a few braces of pressure-treated scrap lumber that I had laying around and put it in my backyard where it was still serving well and strong enough to sit on (and put heavy objects on the table) up until the wind blew a big tree branch down that crushed it. That was maybe around 2017 or 2018 so this thing had about a 43 year service life.

I hope you find or make one the lasts as long. I don't know what kind of wood it was made of, but I know it was not painted --it was stained with thick red wood stain.

You might check FB marketplace. I saw a few on there when I was looking to donate some seating to the dog park near me. Cheaper than building in some cases.

I use to build and sell them some years ago. The material got too expensive to make a good profit. All the wood should be pressure treated lumber and all of the hardware should be for use with pressure treated lumber or your table will not last. Thompson water seal it once a year.

The inexpensive ones you can buy from Home Depot and Lowes only have the legs made from pressure treated lumber. If you leave them out uncovered they may last a year or so before they deteriorate.

They make them with stainless steel frames and hard durable resin/plastic tops and benches that you attach to them as well. Amazon sells some highly rated ones that last.

I volunteer at the Atlanta Habitat for Humanity Restore and this 86 x 43 metal table is 280$ today and 245$ if still here Saturday. It is outside in loading area.

Attachments

• PXL_20230816_140941797.jpg
    PXL_20230816_140941797.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom