• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tip for spring riding mower care

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
If you've got a riding mower that takes the typical Briggs branded oil filter (or one of the alternate brands like Oregon or Stens), typically their part number 492932 or 492932S, as long as you have an extra inch of clearance where the filter mounts, you can use Walmart's Supertech ST3614. It's $3.84 vs. the typical $11 to $15 the B&S filter sells for. The swap is not on any cross reference charts I could find.

The Supertech filter is about 1 inch taller, which is why need that extra inch of space; if your mower config allows it, it fits up fine. Same outer diameter, same threads. And you get a bit more oil capacity, which is never a bad thing.

I changed the oil and air filters on 2 riding mowers and 1 push mower in the last 3 weeks.
Today was the push mower. Probably hadn't done an oil change on it in 5 years.
But, it doesn't get much use. Just for the tight areas and trim close to the house and patio furniture.

I use full syn 5W/30 with zinc added in my mower and pressure washer. The oil is still golden clear when I change it each spring unlike the thick black oil that drains out when I'd use conventional

I use full syn 5W/30 with zinc added in my mower and pressure washer. The oil is still golden clear when I change it each spring unlike the thick black oil that drains out when I'd use conventional
Not to start a debate on syn vs conventional but it being thick and black has nothing to do with it being conventional. Synthetic gets the exact same way….. especially when you start adding additives.
We use strictly full synthetic on our engine dyno and the oil is black as can be. We also add ZDDP to every batch.

Not to start a debate on syn vs conventional but it being thick and black has nothing to do with it being conventional. Synthetic gets the exact same way….. especially when you start adding additives.
We use strictly full synthetic on our engine dyno and the oil is black as can be. We also add ZDDP to every batch.
jmo if your oil is black as can be you need to change it more often. In the hot summer heat conventional will break down far quicker than synthetic

The stress put on motors from high rpm racing will show you very quickly the difference between conv. and synthetic protection. I’m in the AMSOIL or no oil club. Every oil or gas burner I own gets it.

Back
Top Bottom