• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anybody ever paint bare metal?

Yeah the fab shop is in Arizona. When I bought it they sold them all that way cause they couldn't guarantee a coating or paint job through the shipping. I think they do now though lol.
You ask anyone who manufactures anything like that and they'll tell you powder coat is the way to go. Unless you're cheap and you don't mind the spray paint method. You can always spray paint it, and if you don't like it get it powder coated later. It shouldn't cost you anymore because they have to blast it before they coat regardless of whether it's bare or previously painted metal. And the spray paint shouldn't be hard to get off.

You ask anyone who manufactures anything like that and they'll tell you powder coat is the way to go. Unless you're cheap and you don't mind the spray paint method. You can always spray paint it, and if you don't like it get it powder coated later. It shouldn't cost you anymore because they have to blast it before they coat regardless of whether it's bare or previously painted metal. And the spray paint shouldn't be hard to get off.

Good to know. Thanks again for the help.

I have a buddy that does electrostatic painting that would be the way to go if you didnt want to powder coat he uses self etching primers and it binds the paint to the metal with electricity , if you want to go powder coating id recommended benise dowling they are in decatur ga and have a state of the art facility

Last edited:
I got a steel brush guard for my truck but they only ship them as bare metal. I sanded and wiped it down with some alcohol. My question is how much primer? How many coats? I'd like to get it powder coated or ryno lined but don't have a ton of options where I live. Any suggestions on a flat black paint? Should I use a sealant afterwards? Thanks guys!
You can buy bed liner at LPSs in a rattle can or bulk. Holds up pretty good, better if professionally prepped, but if you are on a budget.

If on a budget and DIY...here is my 2 cents....

One thing to remember is if you cleaned and scuffed it... it is rusting right now... so whatever you do you will probably have to resand and clean right before you hang it up and spray it...also handle it with rubber gloves every time your hand touches it that will also cause it to rust...

I would check TS or auto parts for some type of epoxy sealer designed for bare metal adhesion.... 2 medium coats should be plenty then topcoat with decent rattle can... I have had good luck with (krylon)fusion in a spray can.... topcoat 3-4 coats... that will look and hold up about the best...(for nonprofessional)

Good luck pm me if you have any questions...

Back
Top Bottom