• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anybody ever paint bare metal?

VanillaGuerrilla

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
119   0
Reaction score
I got a steel brush guard for my truck but they only ship them as bare metal. I sanded and wiped it down with some alcohol. My question is how much primer? How many coats? I'd like to get it powder coated or ryno lined but don't have a ton of options where I live. Any suggestions on a flat black paint? Should I use a sealant afterwards? Thanks guys!

Only two primers will adhere to bare metal. Self etching primer and epoxy primer. Nothing out of an aerosol can is going to hold up.

My number one recommendation would be don't paint it, powder coat it.

Second recommendation would be what Nonliberal Nonliberal said and plan to touch it up a lot.

Only two primers will adhere to bare metal. Self etching primer and epoxy primer. Nothing out of an aerosol can is going to hold up.

My number one recommendation would be don't paint it, powder coat it.

Second recommendation would be what Nonliberal Nonliberal said and plan to touch it up a lot.

Bummer. I got a couple quotes for paint and it was redicilous. I don't know anyone round here that powder coats. So should I even seal it since I'll need to touch it up so much?

Bummer. I got a couple quotes for paint and it was redicilous. I don't know anyone round here that powder coats. So should I even seal it since I'll need to touch it up so much?
I paint cars for a living, and you'll notice not one of my recommendations was "bring it to me". I would take care of you, but powder coat is much more durable and much cheaper than paint. I'd say my powder coat guy would probably be around $150 for something like that. I can check and see if he knows of anyone in your area.

Last edited:
I paint cars for a living, and you'll notice not one of my recommendations was "bring it to me". I would take care of you, but powder coat is much more durable and much cheaper than paint. I'd say my powder coat guy would be around $150 for something like that. I can check and see if he knows of anyone in your area.

Ok thank you sir.

Back
Top Bottom