• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any advice on running a small Forestry Mulching business?

I won't get out of my truck with a screw driver for less than $50/hour. I also run a CAT with an ASV UC and until you have seen the maintenance intervals and costs to do said maintenance on these machines you can leave the room or just keep quiet because you honestly have no clue. And until you know what it is like to break down on a site and literally have to pay thousands to get back to work and finish the job then you don't know what you are talking about either. It is not merely the cost of the machine and the attachments and all of the other expenses associated with each job. I've had several conversations with the CAT service techs and I can't tell you how many times they have told me how good guys go broke and out of business when their machines break down simply because they do not anticipate and incorporate these costs in to their services and can not pay for the repairs. Luckily, I do not rely on mine for all of my income and I do all of my own maintenance and emergency repairs. I will occasionally take it to CAT service. I have replaced blown hydraulic hoses in the woods where you have to partially remove the track. I have replaced final drive motors on job sites and complete U/C's at my shop including tracks. I've replaced work group OBC's, serviced and repaired turbos and fuel systems. As I am the owner/operator, I am very careful with my machine whereas I see a lot of guys tearing around on them and placing undue stress on them which they can handle to an extent. My point is that it costs a crap ton of money to operate these machines and many people have no clue and I don't care how careful you are you will have problems and you better be ready $$$. I've been asked so many times if I will rent mine and my answer is,"No Sir. It's me and the machine plus my spotter and that is the only way my CAT will be used. I hope you understand." Many folks just don't realize the costs associated with the business. They simply have no clue. $100 and hour with a four hour minimum is more than fair until you start mulching or using other hydraulic assisted attachments like trenchers, augers and such.

50 and operator! In ALABAMA! Does good work! And I guess he could charge 300 hr. If he was a crook, like the rest of y’all in the Business!this is what is wrong with GEORGIA! Stacy is going to help you out some more!
Not sure what Big Stacy has to do with forestry mulching, unless maybe you see a likeness in the front teeth...

You've had your fun now, time to quit or man up.

Go buy a truck, trailer, machine, mulching head, insurance, and business license, and if you're half as good as that picture - I for one will keep you covered up with work for $50 an hour. I suspect there are a few others here as well that will keep you busy for $50 /hour forestry mulching. If that is such a great deal, and you can make money at it, you'll have a great gig. You don't even have to run the machine, hire an operator to run it for you (you'd either have to pay yourself or him anyway) that way you can keep your day job. (you'll need it to help cash flow your new business)

Not sure what Big Stacy has to do with forestry mulching, unless maybe you see a likeness in the front teeth...

You've had your fun now, time to quit or man up.

Go buy a truck, trailer, machine, mulching head, insurance, and business license, and if you're half as good as that picture - I for one will keep you covered up with work for $50 an hour. I suspect there are a few others here as well that will keep you busy for $50 /hour forestry mulching. If that is such a great deal, and you can make money at it, you'll have a great gig. You don't even have to run the machine, hire an operator to run it for you (you'd either have to pay yourself or him anyway) that way you can keep your day job. (you'll need it to help cash flow your new business)
There is a reason why birds fly upside down in Alabama... (key words: no offense, all due respect)

What exactly does the cutting on that attachment?... id want to know how many hours will I get out of it...before it takes cash to keep right...is it for brush..or actual trees... if it hits a rock will it take a dump on a job ... I've had good luck with bobcat(kubota powered)..before def ...does the tractor use def...if so..plan on having a backup unit..so your customers aren't fi ding someone who can show up...etc..I have service companies in several states...im local to you if you ever need anything..just hollar

Just the cutter on that thing is pushing 40k. A set of new teeth for it around 1600-2k. Rocks arent going to make them take a dump, just dull the teeth quicker. It's insane how quick they make make a tree disappear.

I will say there are a ton of folks doing it now. I can throw a rock and hit one.

I was going to post the same. I shake my head when I see someone charging under $100/hr for basic skid steer work. Or you see someone charge the same hourly rate for running a hydraulic attachment. Forestry mulching is almost a luxury service as there are just only so many potential customers that are able/willing to have it done. The price of the attachment plus your machine and running costs says it’s going to take a looooong time before you make your money back. Good luck!
You have to cover your Bidenflation priced fuel costs and parts to make a profit!

Back
Top Bottom