• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any advice on running a small Forestry Mulching business?

DAHLONEGA GOLD AND PAWN

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
SELLING GUNS
Firearms/Accessories Dealer
112   0
Reaction score
Here is the machine we got delivered today. Any advice on running a small Forestry Mulching business?
1648002992974.png

Find something else you can do with it also. The mulching market is saturated and there are guys that will work for next to nothing.
I was going to post the same. I shake my head when I see someone charging under $100/hr for basic skid steer work. Or you see someone charge the same hourly rate for running a hydraulic attachment. Forestry mulching is almost a luxury service as there are just only so many potential customers that are able/willing to have it done. The price of the attachment plus your machine and running costs says it’s going to take a looooong time before you make your money back. Good luck!

What exactly does the cutting on that attachment?... id want to know how many hours will I get out of it...before it takes cash to keep right...is it for brush..or actual trees... if it hits a rock will it take a dump on a job ... I've had good luck with bobcat(kubota powered)..before def ...does the tractor use def...if so..plan on having a backup unit..so your customers aren't fi ding someone who can show up...etc..I have service companies in several states...im local to you if you ever need anything..just hollar

I was going to post the same. I shake my head when I see someone charging under $100/hr for basic skid steer work. Or you see someone charge the same hourly rate for running a hydraulic attachment. Forestry mulching is almost a luxury service as there are just only so many potential customers that are able/willing to have it done. The price of the attachment plus your machine and running costs says it’s going to take a looooong time before you make your money back. Good luck!
Facts. I’ve gone to quote quite a few mulching jobs just to have the customer say “oh another guy I talked to is $100 an hour” and all I can tell em is good luck. Luckily I’ve gotten to the point im staying busy with referrals and word of mouth but I’d hate to be starting up right now.

Get someone you can trust to do a high quality,timely job,if you dont plan on running it yourself that is,and word of mouth will spread. Even in a competitive market like it is I believe youll stay busy. The small towns and farmer types appreciate that more than someone cheap who half asses it. Thats the guy I look for anyways even if he cost a little more.

Back
Top Bottom