• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

americas enemy

Dammit! You are making me like you. I agree with your post and will add that lobbying should go away also. My idea is to elect people that don't want to be a politician. We should be putting small business owners, farmers, factory workers, and even teachers in office. Instead we elect greedy assholes that want money and power.

Don't worry...it'll pass. LOL

We absolutely should return to the "Citizen Politician" who wants to serve to right a wrong and out of a true sense of civic duty and then go home to his real life. People who want to make their lives in politics are the very people who should be barred from politics.

kinda, the huge corporations will find a way to benefit or get around it regardless

corporations will act in their best interest, this is natural and is to be expected. why would you blame an animal for acting like an animal?
This will not change until sensible limits are placed on campaign spending, and we need to do away with a system that rewards those who spend the most money to get elected/re-elected. Most voters are swayed by the faces they see in media sound bites on television, and knowing that, aspiring politicians see no need to elaborate on their platforms nor justify their failures when in office. We need a system that rewards qualifications and accountability, but I'm not sure how we go about establishing such.

One thing is for sure, the current system that rewards a person who spends $100 million to get a job that pays $200,000 or less p. a. needs some kind of overhaul. Big time campaign finance reform would seem to be a good start.

I've long believed that we need a movement to restore the constitution to primacy in the US and begin rolling back the layers and layers of legislation that have sullied and obfuscated it. Lawyers make such poor leaders. They are always rationalizing and hedging. Restore the daily life decisions back to the states as before Lincoln and return the federal government to the role of protector and infrequent arbitrator rather than overlord. Then people can make their own lives as they choose by voting at the state level to make9or remove) laws and if their fellow state citizens disagree in number then they can relocate to a state more conducive to their beliefs. An overlord federal government removes the vital ability of people to live free by homogenizing the states under one massive set of laws.
^^^^^^^^this!^^^^^^^^

This will not change until sensible limits are placed on campaign spending, and we need to do away with a system that rewards those who spend the most money to get elected/re-elected. Most voters are swayed by the faces they see in media sound bites on television, and knowing that, aspiring politicians see no need to elaborate on their platforms nor justify their failures when in office. We need a system that rewards qualifications and accountability, but I'm not sure how we go about establishing such.

One thing is for sure, the current system that rewards a person who spends $100 million to get a job that pays $200,000 or less p. a. needs some kind of overhaul. Big time campaign finance reform would seem to be a good start.
first of all, define sensible

when i hear the phrase sensible or common sense or anything like that, i dont find it to be a good argument as it doesnt have any qualifiers with it

and most voters are swayed simply because most voters are stupid (it is true, look at the general public)

but this is the problem right here

We need a system that rewards qualifications and accountability, but I'm not sure how we go about establishing such.

you said "we" need a system. firstly, there is no "we", only I as a consumer and you as a consumer. there is already a system in place for individuals, it is called capitalism. what we currently have is a government who pretends to protect the individual while catering to interest groups. remove the gov barriers and allow each individual and group to fend for themselves

first of all, define sensible......when i hear the phrase sensible or common sense or anything like that, i dont find it to be a good argument as it doesnt have any qualifiers with it........you said "we" need a system. firstly, there is no "we", only I as a consumer and you as a consumer.

Semantics, the stumbling block of polite and rational discussion of a common problem.

Your ability to accept is determined by your consciousness. We all know people who have more money than they know what to do with, and we all know many people who never have enough. Why the difference? If a person who has virtually nothing is given a large sum of money, within a very short time that person will have nothing again. If we divided all the money in the world equally, in a short time the rich would be rich again, and the poor would be poor.

Your ability to accept is determined by your consciousness. We all know people who have more money than they know what to do with, and we all know many people who never have enough. Why the difference? If a person who has virtually nothing is given a large sum of money, within a very short time that person will have nothing again. If we divided all the money in the world equally, in a short time the rich would be rich again, and the poor would be poor.
dude........yes

Yes

Hey guys, don't stop now this discussion was just getting ripe. To be educated and entertained is a virtue.
So what's the answer? Keep doing what we doing and we'll keep getting what we getting?
This problem is so huge no one person in office will be able to "change" nothing.
If we expect the average American voter to vote the bums out, it ain't gonna happen.
As long as we the sheeple remain sheeple nothing changes, nothing accomplished, and the prodding will continue.
Lead us to the hay and we be happy, just don't tell us you gonna take our guns away. To me that's just a bone they throw us occasionally to make us think we got that under control.
I just don't see a solution and the politicians know they got us by the nut sack.
Gonna take some serious leadership to turn this herd around.
So for now........mooooowwww.

Hey guys, don't stop now this discussion was just getting ripe. To be educated and entertained is a virtue.
So what's the answer? Keep doing what we doing and we'll keep getting what we getting?
This problem is so huge no one person in office will be able to "change" nothing.
If we expect the average American voter to vote the bums out, it ain't gonna happen.
As long as we the sheeple remain sheeple nothing changes, nothing accomplished, and the prodding will continue.
Lead us to the hay and we be happy, just don't tell us you gonna take our guns away. To me that's just a bone they throw us occasionally to make us think we got that under control.
I just don't see a solution and the politicians know they got us by the nut sack.
Gonna take some serious leadership to turn this herd around.
So for now........mooooowwww.

It's no different than pre 1776. Most of the people just wanted to let things go. Ignorance is bliss. I think to change, it starts in places like this and moves it's way into voting booths. Or there is a revolution. Either way it will take time, energy, and sacrifice.

Back
Top Bottom