• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Alternator question

I take it all back!! It's a VW!!!! Anything can happen, electrical nightmares

Besides this problem, the car has been very reliable. I do know of others who have electrical horror stories with their VW's including a buddy who's airbags randomly deployed while driving down the road. My car is a 2002 Golf TDI. I have been the only one to work on it since I have owned it and have changed the timing belt, clutch, etc. Turbo is coming off this weekend for a good cleaning and larger injectors are going in in a few weeks. I really do love the car. It definitely is an enthusiast car. I do discourage people who know nothing about cars from buying one because things can go downhill quickly if you screw something up. I recently flushed the cooling system on a Passat where the owner had an oil cooler going bad (unknowingly) that was pumping oil into the coolant and the guy took it to Pep Boys where they added "universal" "compatible with all types" coolant and it turned the coolant into a thick sticky paste. That was a fun job. I still wouldn't hesitate buying another VW in the future.

I had a blast replacing the alt on mrs roundhouses Tdi beetle

The first sentence in the official VW repair manual states :" begin by removing both front fenders"

I've seen overcharging alts reek all kinds of havoc on vehicles. An alt puts out enough juice to run a welder. Cause I've seen people do it for trail repairs on jeeps

Do you have the VW flicker?

Where your lights start to flicker for no apparent reason ?

So I dont have anything to worry about at 13.8 where spec says 13.5? I heard a no then overcharging is going to cause armageddon. The battery was deader than **** but the test said alternator was putting out that charge.

I had a blast replacing the alt on mrs roundhouses Tdi beetle

The first sentence in the official VW repair manual states :" begin by removing both front fenders"

I've seen overcharging alts reek all kinds of havoc on vehicles. An alt puts out enough juice to run a welder. Cause I've seen people do it for trail repairs on jeeps

Do you have the VW flicker?

Where your lights start to flicker for no apparent reason ?

I have never experienced the VW flicker on mine. The beetles are definitely a lot more cramped to work on. I changed injectors and an egr valve on my buddy's beetle and it wasn't nearly as easy to work on as my Golf. What year is your wife's beetle?

I have never experienced the VW flicker on mine. The beetles are definitely a lot more cramped to work on. I changed injectors and an egr valve on my buddy's beetle and it wasn't nearly as easy to work on as my Golf. What year is your wife's beetle?

Hers is a '00

A bad battery can damage the alt

I wouldn't worry about 13.5 verses 13.8

Her beetle has the same alh engine as mine. If you ever need help with it, hit me up. I have vcds and all the specialty timing belt tools if you need them.

Back
Top Bottom