• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Alternator question

Her beetle has the same alh engine as mine. If you ever need help with it, hit me up. I have vcds and all the specialty timing belt tools if you need them.

Will do. Thanks

Now if I can just find someone to change the spark plugs in my expedition.....

So I dont have anything to worry about at 13.8 where spec says 13.5? I heard a no then overcharging is going to cause armageddon. The battery was deader than **** but the test said alternator was putting out that charge.

Alt is fine, just sounds like shorted plates in the battery. Replace battery and drive it til the wheels fall off.

Alternator spec is to put out 13.5v and it was measured at putting out 13.8v. I dont know much about alternators other than they charge the battery. Is this indicative to the alternator needing to be replaced or is the variance so small that it is irrelevant?

Thanks
>> Anytime the battery is low, you'll see slightly higher voltages with a VOM, as long as alternator is working properly. Like right after vehicle is started, a heavy load is dumped into starter motor & VOMs/Ammeters will register higher for a few minutes, then "level out". As the battery comes into fully charged area, the output of the alternator will come down to anywhere from 12.8---13---13.5--even 13.8 depending. Temperature, battery conditions, condition of wiring in vehicle, & stuff like radios, AC, lights off/on, etc. also affect what you my read on VOM. With a 13.8 sounds like yer right in the ball park. The real thing is if it ever starts dropping to 12vdc or below, under no load, then you probably have a bad alternator or battery.

Back
Top Bottom