• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice for novice. (Getting started)

I’ma have to disagree with some of the folks here.

I find a simple progressive press, like the Dillon SquareDeal B to be a great first press (for reloading pistol cartridges - it doesn’t do rifle).

A single stage is retardedly too slow for any volume of pistol shooting and should be left to the precision rifle guys that might shoot 20rds on an outing.

A turret press adds the complexity of multiple stations AND you have to remember to turn the turret.

A simple progressive you crank the handle once for each station and as long as you make compete strokes, it’s easy peazy. The only time you get into trouble is if you’re constantly removing cases to “check” to make sure the press did it’s job... most people mess up by doing this. Just let the press do it’s job!

I find a simple progressive press, like the Dillon SquareDeal B to be a great first press (for reloading pistol cartridges - it doesn’t do rifle).

A single stage is retardedly too slow for any volume of pistol shooting and should be left to the precision rifle guys that might shoot 20rds on an outing.

A turret press adds the complexity of multiple stations AND you have to remember to turn the turret.

A simple progressive you crank the handle once for each station and as long as you make compete strokes, it’s easy peazy. The only time you get into trouble is if you’re constantly removing cases to “check” to make sure the press did it’s job... most people mess up by doing this. Just let the press do it’s job!

Mistakes are expensive when learning in volume.

200 rounds and you find you set the powder measur wrong? Seated wrong bullet?

Change bullet manufacturer and hundreds of your rounds fail the plunk test?

We are not expecting him to use a single stage forever, it is a learning tool. Easy to get all his money back by selling when ready to move to higher volume.

Right. But...

You can always run a single case through your progressive to learn.

You can’t turn your single stage into a progressive.

But you can't change calibers in seconds on a progressive.

And starting and stopping a progressive can cause squib or double charge loads.

And I'm gonna have to disagree with you. :)

OP listed a bunch of calibers, including a mix of both primer sizes, straight wall pistol, small bottleneck rifle, larger bottleneck rifle, and shotgun. If he starts with something like a Square Deal, he's only going to be able to handle one of those straight wall calibers for a starting cost of about $500 - $600, he'll have to pay a bunch of money for other pistol caliber conversions, and he won't be able to do rifle (or shotgun). And some turret presses have auto advance mechanisms...no manual turning.

OP, here's an inexpensive way to start, that will handle every caliber you listed except 12ga:

Lee Classic Cast Turret Press ... some of Lee's products are "fiddly." This isn't one of those. Solid as they come, cast iron and steel, probably the best turret press design ever, quality made in the USA. Can do pistol rounds at 150 to 200 rounds/hour and load rifle as a single stage press. And it's a very easy press to learn on. Let's you learn both single stage and "semi progressive" loading concepts.

Get an extra turret for each caliber. About $12 each. Let's you set your dies once and never have to adjust them again. Get Lee deluxe four die pistol sets. Get Lee deluxe three die rifle sets (or other brands...any 7/8" dies work with this setup).

You'll spend $125 or so on the press, and about $50 per caliber (turret and dies). You'll spend another $100 to $200 on accessories (scale, tumbler, powder measure, caliper, various small tools).

Recommend you start with your favorite pistol caliber, and the rifle caliber you shoot most of. Pistol and rifle are different processes. Learn them on this setup. It may be all you ever need. If you turn into a reloading junky, you might upgrade to (or add) a fully progressive press later on. Or you might add a traditional single stage. Each of us does this a bit differently.

Regarding reloading 12ga: Not worth it, except for exotic loads (steel shot), and maybe self-defense rounds. Birdshot? Forget it. Unless you are competition shooter wanting to customize your loads, it costs more per round to load than what you can buy at the store.

turret_classic-600x600.jpg

And that’s fine... but as someone else here mentioned... better to jump in and learn on one caliber vs. trying to learn it all in one shot.

Buy once. Cry once.

Dillon XL750 and be done.

But you can't change calibers in seconds on a progressive.

And starting and stopping a progressive can cause squib or double charge loads.
It can. Which a why I mentioned that in my first post about progressives.

I never said to take it out. Just to feed one case and run it all the way through.

Just crank handle and feed components.

I used a rock chucker RCBS single stage when I started loading in 1974 and quit after a while as I didn’t have the time. I bought a 550 Dillion about 86 when we shot a bunch of compilation and still load on it to day ! I loaded 12 gauge on a mec grabber as we shot skeet and trap a couple days a week and I could load skeet shells back then for about $2.70 a box! Now you can buy 12 gauge trap and skeet shells cheaper than you can load them! Just my 2 cents worth! On the other side to me it is really good way to unwind and calm down after a long week!

There is a lot of useful information here to consider.

I am going to start taking training more serious so the more important calibers are 9mm and 5.56/223 and those I would prefer in volumn. The rest I dont mind picking up over time.

Anyone near Canton willing to teach?

I have presses from a single stage all the way to a Dillon 1050. There is no way I would recommend starting on a progressive machine, especially a Dillon 750. Way too many things going on for a new reloader to keep up with. Reloading is like shooting, practice your accuracy and speed will come as you gain experience. Starting with a high capacity machine from Dillon would be like handing a new shooter a Barret 50 the first time they pulled a trigger. There are one or two that could handle it, but most would never shoot anything again. OP, send me a pm and I will help you the best I can.

Back
Top Bottom