• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice for novice. (Getting started)

DrManhattan

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
110   0
Reaction score
Ok i need help from all you veteran reloaders. I started down the rabbit hole of investigating reloading and am now a bit overwhelmed. In an effort not to needlessly waste money I'm looking for advice.

Currently looking to reload handgun, rifle and shotgun. Primarily 9mm, 45acp, 10mm, 5.56/223, 7mm-08 and 12ga with more calibers planned in the next year or two.

Looking for advice on progressive presses and "must have" tools. Considering Hornady or Dillon.

Does anyone have practical advice how best to make a purchase decision or things to consider that you didnt know when you started but learned as you got into it?

Also if anyone knows of classes I'd be interested.

Ok i need help from all you veteran reloaders. I started down the rabbit hole of investigating reloading and am now a bit overwhelmed. In an effort not to needlessly waste money I'm looking for advice.

Currently looking to reload handgun, rifle and shotgun. Primarily 9mm, 45acp, 10mm, 5.56/223, 7mm-08 and 12ga with more calibers planned in the next year or two.

Looking for advice on progressive presses and "must have" tools. Considering Hornady or Dillon.

Does anyone have practical advice how best to make a purchase decision or things to consider that you didnt know when you started but learned as you got into it?

Just a suggestion, this is a loaded question, no pun intended...Decide first what amount of reloading you want to do, A lot or just 50 or so to get used to it..Then after you have answered that, find a mentor to walk you through properly safety in reloading..Tis better to walk before running..Done the right way you will enjoy reloading, done the wrong way is a quick road to disaster. Good luck!

I am also just getting started Midway and Midsouth know me well.So many little things.I am only loading, yep 308.Dies, shell holders, trays, scales, calipers, primers, priming tool, presses, powder funnel, cases, bullets,powder, trimmer,case lube pad,and on and on and on.

Learn to take off and land before you try barrel rolls. Get a good non progressive press with a good reloading manual and learn the safety aspects of handling powders. Learn the fundamentals, steps and stages of successful reloading before going progressive so you will be able to sense when something is not right when you do.

I agree with DinkerDau. Start with the one that would be most important to you and progress slowly from there. I load Shotgun and pistol, but I load more shotgun than anything else. I purchase both of my shotgun loaders (12ga & 20ga) used. I am using MEC progressive loaders and they work just fine. I use a Hornady Lock Load for pistol and am very happy with it. If you do not know anyone that loads I would just look on ODT and find someone close to you. I am sure anyone would be willing to help you get started. Hope all goes well.

The fancier the machine the steeper the learning curve.
When, not if things go wrong you will have to figure out and fix.
I recommend starting with nothing more complicated than a turret press. Then if you are SURE reloading is for you, then upgrade.

Find a used name brand machine to start.

Also if anyone knows of classes I'd be interested.
Rcbs has great customer service and tech advise.Their equipment is top notch.

Back
Top Bottom