• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Adventures in Home Hot Bluing using the Blind Hog recipe...... Updated pics pg.4!

Then they look great! Your pics made the finish look a bit off-color like a grey. So how does it shoot?

I like those Kensights (Novak style adjustable). A couple of years ago I looked long and hard at them for a Springer project and they are in Atlanta, Georgia. If able I always try to show some love for our local boys.
http://stores.kensight.com/StoreFront.bok

The grey would be my photography with cell phone and the clouds reflecting in the slide, it's dark blue. We had just finished putting it together, wiped it down quickly and put it on the hand rail for pics. Parts of the frame were dry and it was really bright so my cell camera over adjusted. Mark has a couple too, he'll probably post today.

I do like the Kensights and they are what RIA uses on some of their models.

It's shoots POA, I like a target sight setup, lollipop style. I left Marks and went to the range, ran in, grabbed a couple friends and 3 of us shot a quick 5 round group @ 15' just to be sure everything worked properly. Mine were half dollar size, the other "younger" shooters were tighter with one grouping about the size of a quarter and the other punching a single hole the size of a nickle. Wish I had my "younger" eye's back.. LOL

The barrel, FS guide rod & grip safety are still RIA, the link & barrel were fit, rails were peened. Everything else is aftermarket parts.

I'm really happy, it was built to be my night stand piece, sporting a TLR it looks great!

The gun really looks amazing! here are a few more pics I took yesterday......
rail1.jpg

rail2.jpg

Scott really got the fit on this gun perfect. The slide to frame fit is outstanding.

Very good work! Yep that preparation work is a pain but the reward definitely is worth it. The salts can be re-used until they fail to blue. I have 3 pistols on my salts and a few more guns to blue. Add up the cost per gun and the results to realize the savings.

I'll never again let anyone blue a gun for me.

Now where are the railed gun pics?

Your gonna have to show me how you do that!

- - - Updated - - -

The gun really looks amazing! here are a few more pics I took yesterday......
View attachment 126255

View attachment 126256

Scott really got the fit on this gun perfect. The slide to frame fit is outstanding.

That is really a beautiful job man!

Well, here is the reason we started all this. 6 weeks ago I put an order in with Fusion Firearms for a pre-fit frame/slide/barrel. I wanted to do my own finish on this gun so my wife graciously let me experiment on her little officers RIA and then Scott joined in the fun and I think both Rock Islands exceeded our expectations with the finish.
I now go forward with confidence that this next 1911 build will look as good as it should.
I just picked the gun up today from my FFL and the fit of everything is awesome. Its a full size 1911, match grade barrel, front and rear cocking serrations, bomar sight cut and target ribbed slide.
I wont do a full build thread, but I will post some updates and the finished product after our next bluing session.
-Mark
fusion1.jpg

fusion2.jpg

fusion3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom