• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Adrenaline dump

Laxguy59

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
64   0
Reaction score
Well some crackhead almost earned himself a bullet, and it would be funny if my hands weren't still shaking.

7:30am pull into the parking garage and notice a guy trying to hide behind a concrete pole, wait about 5 minutes to see who it is or what they are doing, and finally yell "Hey you". At this point I'm thinking it's just another employee who is talking on the phone or something but still worrying me, so I haven't taken my gun out of the holster on my passenger seat. Then Mr. Crackhead walks out from the poll walks up to my car and lays his head down on my hood (I grab my holstered gun, but don't pull it out), I yell " what are you doing" he looks up and mumbles something and goes back to listening for a heartbeat on the hood of my truck. I honk, he almost falls, I laugh and yell "get lost". He walks off. Well as I'm about to get out of my car I see he is right next to my window and had re-entered through the side door to the lot. I slowly and discreetly un-holster the weapon, didn't want to escalate it to quickly, but he was within arms reach. Then Open the door and say "What do you want", he mumbles and I say "get out of here". For a good picture of this guy he is like a homeless Jared Loughner looking guy. He walks off around a corner, so I'm not sure if he actually left. So I decide it's okay to bring my gun into work today. As I walk in I try my best to peak around the corner and round the corner, and boom there he is walking angry towards me, I pulled my gun and pointed it at him he was 5-6feet away, practically arms reach but I saw after I drew he was frozen but one more step and he would have taken a couple.

I always thought I would yell get on the ground or something cop'ish, but all I could muster was another "get out of here" and he turned and booked it, after he was a good distance away my body finally realized the gallon of adrenaline and I literally shook like a dog and its really just wearing off now, but hey who needs coffee this morning. I let the police inside know so they went to check it out, they said they would let me know if they get him.

Update: They got him and they said he was 10-93, which must be cop code for crazy. He said he laid on my hood for warmth. He also stated I scared him greatly and that is why he was hiding again when the cops found him.

Last edited:
I'm glad you weren't involved in a "situation"....but i know how you feel.....it takes a while to unwind from something like that.....hope you have a good day at work!....keep us posted

Yea I couldn't think of better words for it, but I was in fear of my life, but since he appeared unarmed , In that moment I drew I saw his eyes light up and it was clear he was frozen, so I would have fired until the situation changed post draw. I ought to edit that out.

I actually don't like the way I handled it though, never should have opened my door, should have just called 911.

Me and the cops talked about it, and they all said it was okay and said they would have done the same thing, except they said not to open the door and just call police next time.

Last edited:
I always thought I would yell get on the ground or something cop'ish, but all I could muster was another "get out of here".

Glad you are okay. Pulling the trigger would be a big waste of a day on a crackhead, not to mention having your gun confiscated for evidence. Here are some words to use if there's a next time "Go ahead, make my day" -- Clint.

this is not a criticism, but a genuine question because i ask myself the same thing from time to time.....what would you have done if you didn't have a gun?

this is not a criticism, but a genuine question because i ask myself the same thing from time to time.....what would you have done if you didn't have a gun?

I dont know really, I know I'm happy I had it, I guess I would have never opened that door, and prayed he didn't try and break through it while I waited for police, but I underestimated him thinking he was just high and wandering not malevolent so I may have opened the door to try to shoo him off anyway, not sure. It's hard to think someone is a bad guy when his first action is sleeping on your hood. Also after a situation like this I am sitting here thinking about all the things I did stupid so criticism is welcome as this was a good learning experience.

Last edited:
Yea I couldn't think of better words for it, but I was in fear of my life, but since he appeared unarmed , In that moment I drew I saw his eyes light up and it was clear he was frozen, so I would have fired until the situation changed post draw. I ought to edit that out.

I actually don't like the way I handled it though, never should have opened my door, should have just called 911.

Me and the cops talked about it, and they all said it was okay and said they would have done the same thing, except they said not to open the door and just call police next time.

Situations like these are why we spend so much time in our classes going over appropriate use of deadly force & predator prey dynamics.
As you figured out unless you can quickly drive away, vehicles are deathboxes due to your inability to get "off the x".

You just had a "freebie" as we call it.
They can be very constructive. While you can't plan for every possible situatuon, the more scenarios you can visualize & practice on the range, the more efficiently you will process them in real life.

Glad it turned out ok & you didn't wind up at the hospital or "downtown" at the police station.

Good learning experience.

Back
Top Bottom