• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A peek at your CCW

If I understood the ruling and how states (like Florida) have applied it, you don't actually have to "give" them the ID. I've seen videos where the occupant refused to roll down the window but placed his ID against the glass and asserted his rights. The police had to let him proceed because they could see the information needed. By the same token I've seen videos of Michigan stops where the occupants were forcibly arrested (in this case the officer hadn't even run the plates in the video and actually told the driver "you probably have a suspended license and don't want to show it to me.") In BOTH cases the officers also asked the question, "are you a lawyer?"

Whatever. As a LEO, I want the INFORMATION that’s on the card, not the card itself. When I say that you have to produce ID, I specifically mean the information that’s on the document.

Yes at some point before the meet. I typically have 1 phone conversation before meeting most
I usually have a call or two as well, but I don’t remember ever discussing who all would be with me or the other party.
I’ve been trading since the 80s though, so I assume few people would even consider meeting a stranger without friends or family with them.
And like others here, I don’t really worry about established members.

I always place that "peek" option in my ads...just in case some under age appearing kid shows up on the deal...driving a pickup with TX tags.

And I look at the prior feedback of any one responding with interest in my deals.

My ads...my ass...my rules....

Best response I’ve seen yet!

Just to make sure they’re most likely not selling to a felon that’s refrained from purchasing a firearm legally. The thinking is, if you can clear the background check and obtain a CCW, you’re gtg so sellers did their “due diligence”. Also obviously to see if you’re of legal age to own a firearm (pistol).
This and if a deal I have set refuses, then frig em, no deal, they had something to hide, or NOT, as in not legal to own a gun.

I usually have a call or two as well, but I don’t remember ever discussing who all would be with me or the other party.
I’ve been trading since the 80s though, so I assume few people would even consider meeting a stranger without friends or family with them.
And like others here, I don’t really worry about established members.
Me too. Same story but I typically say my wife when driving her car with a description of the car.

This and if a deal I have set refuses, then frig em, no deal, they had something to hide, or NOT, as in not legal to own a gun.

This kind of sounds like "There shouldn't be a problem with universal background checks and registration as long as you don't have anything to hide." That's probably technically true, I just don't like what those could lead to.

This is kind of what I mean about the "normal" shifting people's perception. I remember these debates from many years ago and I don't think they were so heavily in favor of showing a CCW. The requirement is on more ads than there used to be.

I don't think you're a bad person if you require a look at a CCW. I don't even think you're a bad person if you want universal background checks and a firearms registry. I'm just discussing why I don't agree.

If you're the registered owner of record of a firearm, and you sell that firearm to somebody without knowing who you sold it to, and it later shows up at a violent crime scene... who do you think the police are going to ask about it? Guess who now has the legal burden of proof to factually establish that it isn't their firearm any more? Hint: It's not the unknown person you tell them you sold it to. Consider the potential total cost of ending up in that kind of predicament with the criminal justice system. Is it worth the risk? It's not to me. That's why I would always advise them in advance that I need to look at their ID and record the important stuff before I accept their money or hand them the gun. If they don't want to do that I'll just sell to somebody else who will.

Sounds like some of you guys are ready for universal background checks if it becomes law tomorrow.... The reason most people buy from an individual versus a gun store is to NOT have your personal info tied to the gun, if God forbid one day government confiscation happens, they don’t know you have it. Common sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're the registered owner of record of a firearm, and you sell that firearm to somebody without knowing who you sold it to, and it later shows up at a violent crime scene... who do you think the police are going to ask about it? Guess who now has the legal burden of proof to factually establish that it isn't their firearm any more? Hint: It's not the unknown person you tell them you sold it to. Consider the potential total cost of ending up in that kind of predicament with the criminal justice system. Is it worth the risk? It's not to me. That's why I would always advise them in advance that I need to look at their ID and record the important stuff before I accept their money or hand them the gun. If they don't want to do that I'll just sell to somebody else who will.
I just don't see any cost and don't see much hassle to it. I'd say something truthful to the effect of: "I sold that gun years ago. No idea where or when I sold it, I do a fair amount of trading." My biggest concern would be that they'd subpoena my internet history to verify my alibi of sitting at home playing on my phone (they can't arrest me for liking midgets though). If the cops really thought there was a chance that I committed some crime with a gun, a piece of paper that I printed from the internet isn't going to save me enough trouble to make it worthwhile.

Back
Top Bottom