• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A peek at your CCW

I always ask if there is any legal reason they should not purchase or posses a firearm in the state of Georgia?
I figure at that point I have done my best to assure that the transaction is legal.

Yes, that falls under one of the aspects of what I call "due diligence." To me, the point it to make a reasonable effort to inform oneself that the purchaser is giving you no indications of being ineligible to possess a weapon.

I was at a gunshow one day, about to go in. I had 2 guns I was going to walk around and see if I could sell them. The world's oldest gangbanger came up to me and said "he couldn't buy from the dealers, and would I sell him a gun".

He was an ATF guy working a sting, I saw him on the news 2 weeks later.

You never know

I was at a gunshow one day, about to go in. I had 2 guns I was going to walk around and see if I could sell them. The world's oldest gangbanger came up to me and said "he couldn't buy from the dealers, and would I sell him a gun".

He was an ATF guy working a sting, I saw him on the news 2 weeks later.

You never know

I'd have followed him later to see his car and get his tag number and called the Po-Po and told them I saw a drunk driver with his license plate... :0)

I haven't read all 11 pages here so I'm sorry if this has been covered. I just keep seeing posts about "due diligence". I don't think there's anything required other than not knowingly selling to someone that can't legally purchase. I can understand wanting to do a little due diligence, but I just get the impression that some people think it's required.

To me, there's a slippery slope from "acceptance of CCW checks and BOS's as normal" to it becoming government mandated background checks and purchase tracking. Background checks don't sound terrible to me but there again, the next slippery slope leads to registration. I don't show or ask for a CCW. I don't ask for a BOS but I have signed one as long as it doesn't ask for too much info. They are completely useless but not terribly harmful, IMO. Yes, I think that CCW checks are in the same category as BOS requests.

I don't think registration (or confiscation) is coming any time soon. I do think it's inevitable because that is the trend the world is heading. I think it's many decades away for the US though. I'm just all for delaying the slippery slope towards it as much as possible. I assume that everyone that is willing to post on a public forum, through which they could be tracked, is able to legally purchase. Nobody I have dealt with has given me reason to think otherwise.

I haven't read all 11 pages here so I'm sorry if this has been covered. I just keep seeing posts about "due diligence". I don't think there's anything required other than not knowingly selling to someone that can't legally purchase. I can understand wanting to do a little due diligence, but I just get the impression that some people think it's required.

To me, there's a slippery slope from "acceptance of CCW checks and BOS's as normal" to it becoming government mandated background checks and purchase tracking. Background checks don't sound terrible to me but there again, the next slippery slope leads to registration. I don't show or ask for a CCW. I don't ask for a BOS but I have signed one as long as it doesn't ask for too much info. They are completely useless but not terribly harmful, IMO. Yes, I think that CCW checks are in the same category as BOS requests.

I don't think registration (or confiscation) is coming any time soon. I do think it's inevitable because that is the trend the world is heading. I think it's many decades away for the US though. I'm just all for delaying the slippery slope towards it as much as possible. I assume that everyone that is willing to post on a public forum, through which they could be tracked, is able to legally purchase. Nobody I have dealt with has given me reason to think otherwise.

If I were to sell a firearm I would ask to see a CCW. I will look at the picture and the person's face to make sure they match, to give me greater confidence that I am selling to a person who can legally own the firearm. It is not legally required, but it is something I require, just to help make sure I'm not selling to someone to which I wouldn't want to sell. If you don't like it, pass on the sale.

Can some people fake IDs? Yes. So what? Some people could break into my house and steal it out of the safe, too. Doesn't mean I leave them lying around.

I don't think it's a slippery slope at all, as I am not in government. It is my "normal", not a government mandated normal.

Also, registration will be at least attempted in the near future. It's called "Universal Background Checks". How can the government verify that you didn't buy a gun from someone without a background check unless it's registered? The only way for Universal Background Checks to work is if EVERY firearm is registered and each transaction recorded.

Back
Top Bottom