• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6-notch barrel nut, can't remove, any advice?

Late to the party but what is that hex wrench (allen key?) for? I'm about as far away from a competent gunsmith as you can get so excuse my ignorance. I was wondering if the barrel nut has a locking screw on it somewhere? If not, then what's the hex wrench for?

Whatever, good luck with getting the problem solved.

Late to the party but what is that hex wrench (allen key?) for? I'm about as far away from a competent gunsmith as you can get so excuse my ignorance. I was wondering if the barrel nut has a locking screw on it somewhere? If not, then what's the hex wrench for?

Whatever, good luck with getting the problem solved.
Thank you. A hex or hexagonal wrench is indeed an Allen key. Hexagonal refers to the shape, the name Allen is a trademark. Kind of like tissues and Kleenex.

Glad to see they are sending you a wrench for free. Another good trick is using a strap wrench that has a woven strap. The woven strap would grip the anti-rotation checkering on the barrel nut well, where a rubber strap would not bite and slip.
ie: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-34-in-Strap-Wrench-with-3-1-2-in-Capacity-80-544-111/304341664
Thanks! I was considering a strap wrench but really only know the ones with the rubber strap. Good to learn that they come with woven straps as well.

Back
Top Bottom