• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Castle nut

It is a no no.

You should clean the threads, use Aeroshell 33ms on the castle nut (prevent galling), torque to 38-42 ft pounds and stake in 1-3 locations pending your castle nut style and where the torque ends up placing the staking notches. Generally you can get 2 much of the time, up to 3 if you use a FCD CNF (they have more and deeper staking notches).

It is a no no.

You should clean the threads, use Aeroshell 33ms on the castle nut (prevent galling), torque to 38-42 ft pounds and stake in 1-3 locations pending your castle nut style and where the torque ends up placing the staking notches. Generally you can get 2 much of the time, up to 3 if you use a FCD CNF (they have more and deeper staking notches).
Was going to mention aero shell but couldn't think of the name for the life of me. You saved me some grief b

It is a no no.

This is The Way.

The ONLY time I use VibraTite VC3 instead of staking is when a customer brings me some crap receiver end plate that can’t be staked.

Yeah you want them nice meaty steaks. Medium rare. I had to fix a IWI Zion recently where the original castlenut was crushed into the threads, and they forced it on crushing the detent spring. After machining off the castlenut to prevent damaging the tube threads the new castlenut customer brought was tapered to where it that could not be staked. Freaking Chinesium ar parts irk me. Blue Loctite and some ugga duggaz and off she went. FCD CNF is the sauce. My fav, it is what I recommend.

Back
Top Bottom