• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need to borrow a jam nut wrench

GeorgiaHunter

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
35   0
Reaction score
Looking to borrow a jam nut wrench. Trying to remove a free float rail, and an old IraqVet video said you can use the buffer tube wrench to remove the jam nut. My Tapco wrench won't work. Or maybe you know of a good cheap Harbor Freight tool I an use instead. I'm in Kennesaw.

20240223_200355.jpg

If you bring it by TruPrep, I can get it loose for you in a few minutes.

Sometimes it’s possible to turn the rail itself, instead of the jam ring.

Either method you use, I wouldn’t recommend using that clamshell you have the upper receiver in. You run the chance of ruining your upper. The preferred tool to hold the upper is a reaction rod, which is what I use.

If you bring it by TruPrep, I can get it loose for you in a few minutes.

Sometimes it’s possible to turn the rail itself, instead of the jam ring.

Either method you use, I wouldn’t recommend using that clamshell you have the upper receiver in. You run the chance of ruining your upper. The preferred tool to hold the upper is a reaction rod, which is what I use.
What's the fee?

That needs a special spanner wrench. I remember those rails from the “old” days. Not sure I still have one. Or take an old wide flat blade screwdriver the width of the ring, Dremel it as needed to fit, a mallet and tap away.

We'll see. Anybody have a local source for the proper wrench?

If you’re bound and determined to do it yourself, a flat-tip screwdriver will work, like opps opps stated.

Unless you plan on taking that particular handguard on and off a lot, buying the proper wrench won’t make fiscal sense. I can take it off for less money than a wrench will cost.

Back
Top Bottom