• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6.8 vs. 300 Blackout

Besides better subsonic and short barrel performance the 300blk has other attributes.

Only requires barrel change,NOTHING else. 300blkis easy to reload,you can make brass from 5.56 brass easily- therefore you will always be able to make rounds for it. There are many new factory rounds being produced now that are supposed to awesome performers. Look at the 110ttsx round for example.

The 6.8 wonthave the chance to grow like the 300 will due to the freedom groups size.

The biggest downside to the 6.8 is that there's more efficient rounds that fit in the ar platform if all your after is long range hunting. The 6.5 grendel and the Remington 30 ar are designed more for hunting.

I know I am late to the game here, but here are my comments.

If you look at those ballistics again, notice how much speed the .300 loses over those 300 yards. Less than 100 fps. The 6.8 loses almost 700 fps over that same distance. So, while the heavy bullet out of the .300 may have a rainbow trajectory, it hits almost as hard at 300 yards as it does at the muzzle. Not so with the 6.8.

That being said, Bison Armory is now selling 6.8 uppers and bullets designed for subsonic shooting as well. And I just got an e-mail tonight that Wilson Combat is now offering a suppressor designed for the 6.8 and .300. I am pretty sure that the 200+ grain 6.8 bullets will perform just as good (or better) than the heavy .30s.

All in all, I think it is 6 in one hand, half-dozen in the other. To each his own.

I am building a 6.8 myself with my ODT lower, but my next one will be a Blackout, I am sure.

Last edited:
I looked into building a blackout, but I cant justify it for my purposes. I want it for the same reasons as you. My issue with the blackout is that it was made to be suppressed. That's freakin' awesome, don't get me wrong. But, the odds of me buying a can for it any time soon are slim to none. I'm in the process of building an 18inch 6.8 rifle right now. After being active duty with the army for a while, I developed a strong dislike for the 5.56. The blackout is a great cartridge with great ballistics for short range rifle work. I prefer the 6.8 because of its long range qualities. If you're going to build one of these calibers (or buy), consider the barrel length that you wanna do. A 300 SBR is always sick. A 16-18 inch 6.8 will easy cover out to 400+ yards, and you could hunt with it. Just my take. I wouldn't want to do a .308 build unless it was in a SASS setup. The 7.62s you have to have a different lower for, unlike the .223/6.8. You can throw on a .22, 5.7, .223, 6.8, .458 SOCOM, .50 Beowulf, .50 AE........

Back
Top Bottom