• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6.8 vs. 300 Blackout

Go Navy!

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
113   0
Reaction score
I need help. :p I can't make my mind up on my next build. I have two 223/556, an AK, but what is my best all round next build? This will never be used past 100 yards, and mainly as a self-defense/ home defense toy. I'm open to pretty much anything. But I want know down power and a budge saving cost.

If I was going to build a new rifle on an AR platform other than .556/.223 I think I would go with .308, the 6.8 SPC & .300 AAC Blackout ammo is not as readily available as .308 (7.62x51). Now if I was going to build a rifle to be suppressed I would go with .300 AAC Blackout, it was developed with suppression in mind and subsonic ammo is being made for that round. Just my .02.......:cool:

lots of pros and cons (and posts about the same here and elsewhere). here's the general idea:

6.8 pro- great power, better at longer ranges than the 300, much better than 5.56 ballistics, great for hunting on the AR platform

6.8 cons- need new bolt and magazines ($$) to fit 6.8, more expensive to shoot even if you reload (brass is $$, $51/100), many different chambers to be aware of (original SAAMI, SPCI, SPCII, 6.8x43 or whatever), only shoots lighter .277 bullets (85-115gr for the most part)

300 pro- designed to be subsonic, so if that's important, definitly go this route, very cheap to shoot, brass is dirt cheap (1k rounds of 5.56 formed for $130), 30 cal bullets are plentiful (with some new designs for the 300 specifically to help with feeding in AR mags), just need a new barrel if you already have an upper. subsonic with 180gr+ bullets, supersonic/hunting/defensive loads with 125gr bullets. designed to work well with short barrels.

300 cons- not really that good at ranges over 150 yards (for hunting), may work but not quite as well as 6.8. Some issues with cycling in ARs because of gas port sizes, barrel length, powders, subsonic vs supersonic, etc. I'm assuming the big players have figured this out (i.e. AAC uppers I've heard cycle just about everything, some (CMMG?) have some issues with certain combinations?

overall I would say that the 300 AAC BLK has the momentum on it's side and seems to have a lot of advantages IMHO over the 6.8. I have a 6.8 build and I thought about selling it and going 300 but decided that there's a place in my safe for both, so I kept it (mainly if I want to hunt with the AR (hogs), or just use it for home defense), but I will end up buying a 300 in the near future to compliment it. It's a lot cheaper to shoot, and if I loose some of my brass while shooting it, I just don't care because it's cheap to buy.

do some reasearch and decide what's best for your uses. there's lots of info out there.

300 if you are going to stay with 223/5.56 ar platform, as for the 308 you are in a whole diff AR type of platform, like AR10 Ireally haven't heard of feed issues, the 300 blk is awesome one bad ass round with or without a suppresser. just my 2 cents worth

Back
Top Bottom