• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

5.7x28 Why?

5.7x28

• Total voters

NewLeaf

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Glad2bHere
30   0
Reaction score
A lot of Folks are calling the 5.7x28 the “2023 Round” . Is there anyone out there that can convince a novice shooter to replace a less expensive round with this little hotrod round? Totally open minded and have no (very little) experience with the 5.7. No criticism intended.

I can't help but reflect on 357SIG. I believe reloaders primarily killed that cartridge. They hated dealing with the shoulder in a pistol cartridge. They are perfectly fine with reloading rifle carts with shoulders but for some reason hated dealing with it in a pistol caliber. I think they will kill the 5.7 round too in much the same way.

It's been a semi-popular round for over a decade now, and only gaining ground the last year or two so I wouldn't call it a novelty.

I picked up a PSA Rock a few months ago because $290 just seems like a no brainer but have yet to buy ammo or shoot it.

We'll see and I hope you are right, but again, released way back in 1994, 357SIG was carried by many state agencies and some federal--Secret Service and Air Marshalls. Yet, it never resonated with reloaders, which tanked new 357SIG pistol sales, which tanked ammo sales, which never drove prices down to reasonable levels, which ultimately tanked the cartridge. The final nail was when most agencies implemented cost cutting measures and dropped it for inexpensive 9mm. 40s&w later followed suit and is now on life support.

I think for a time, we were headed to 9mm being the only caliber made. It now it appears that the market has loosened a bit and there is room for 9mm, 45acp and 10mm. If the market can bear it, I think a fourth cartridge would be great. Having choices is a great thing.

P90 with SS190 rounds. Nuff said.
I have had enough trigger time behind this setup that I am a huge believer in what it is capable of.
But not with the 16-in barrel PS90 and the commercially available rounds. It's still fun, but not the same.

We used to have a competition of who could fire the fewest rounds with one trigger pull. The cyclical rate of the p90 is ridiculous.

In my opinion, It makes the most sense when you’ve got an automatic pdw with virtually no recoil. They can be fun guns but unless it’s a legit P90 it’s not going to be the gun I would want to grab for a serious situation.

I did really like how I had my P90 set up. I would’ve wanted to try one of the Effen receivers if I kept it.

P90 with SS190 rounds. Nuff said.
I have had enough trigger time behind this setup that I am a huge believer in what it is capable of.
But not with the 16-in barrel. PS 90 and the commercially available rounds. It's still fun, but not the same.

We used to have a competition of who could fire the fewest rounds with one trigger pole. The cyclical rate of the p90 is ridiculous.
What’s the max range you’re comfortable (multiple 3moa) with getting needed penetration?

Back
Top Bottom