• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question: Why does Kimber have a bad reputation?

Because they are lower quality than the many imported cheap 1911's but cost twice as much. Because their "stainless steel" will rust sitting in your climate controlled house.
Because they make fancy names for finishes that are absolutely garbage.

I've cerakoted countless "stainless" kimbers because the owners couldn't keep them from getting surface rust. So maybe I should thank them.

IMG_20240225_112913.jpg

A long ago history of cheap imported MIM parts, that has been corrected but not forgotten.

A history that still exists today of in the white steel barrels in some models that rust easily, like all in the white carbon steel does.

And like Fatal_Bert Fatal_Bert said, poor quality stainless steel that rusts too easily and coatings that have the durability of spray paint.

And finally an overemphasis on tight frame to slide fit that requires a long break-in period to get the weapon to function reliably,

Sounds like they have a poor reputation because they earned it.

I’m a little gun shy of their revolvers. Most of the issues I’ve heard of were 1911 specific but im scared to take a chance.

I believe that Kimber got the finish ideas from Sig only difference is lower price Kimbers have sucky finish but for Sig you have to get the limited edition and special models to get the bad finish I have had cheaper Sigs with good finish and i have had some special editions that if you even thought about putting it in a holster the finish would chip off

Back
Top Bottom