• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Why doesn't the Mini14 come in .30 Carbine?

I did a rifle & handgun class with CMshoot a few years ago, and my rifle was a folding-stocked Mini-14.

The "rock it in, Toe then Heel" method to lock a magazine in place was really awkward compared to the AR platform guns everybody else had. Slow to drop old magazines, and slow to get a new one in place.

I've got that setup myself in 300BLK, and you're right - mag changes are a real pain until you get the feel for them - but that's basically the way the M14 works too.

1692307629386.png

Sounds like you're thinking about the Ruger XGI

As I understood it, the Mini-14 was designed from the get-go to be a really inexpensive close clone of the extremely expensive-to-make M14, which is why things like the bolt roller that you find on an M14 is pared back to being a rounded nub of cast metal. In that form factor, you'd be talking an awful small reciever for such a powerful cartridge as the 308.

There it is! That's the info that my brain garbled together. Thanks for the clarification.

I have an early production Universal carbine that my Dad bought new back in the mid to late sixties. I wouldn't trade it for anything but it never gets used anymore.
Now if Ruger made their PC Carbine in something besides 9mm and priced them to compete with a Keltec I might think about getting one.

I have an early production Universal carbine that my Dad bought new back in the mid to late sixties. I wouldn't trade it for anything but it never gets used anymore.
Now if Ruger made their PC Carbine in something besides 9mm and priced them to compete with a Keltec I might think about getting one.
You pay a premium to have something that works.

Back
Top Bottom