• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

5.56 PDW Suggestion

Which one would you choose or suggest

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree 11.5+ if .556

I have the honey badger front end in 300, it’s pretty sweet shooting steel at distance.

11.5 & 7”
IMG_2154.png

No one gonna mention the MDRx/WLVRN? Slap the micron kit on it and it's p90 length with 556 and 300 blk switch barrels. Ot just keep the 16" barrels and be the same length as a 11.5" AR
That’s why I like my LMT. It can go from a 10.5” 5.56 to a 10.5” 300 bo in about 2 minutes… assuming I have the barrel and Torx wrench handy.

I did this math, and a number of builds, before I went with the MCX. I chose rattler in 300bo but would have no issues going with the 556 in like 11" barrel if I was less worried with concealing it.

beats Q for the following reasons:
Fires folded
actual government contracts
not made by Q

I had spent a decent amount of money trying to make regular ARs fold well, be short and run, etc. Tried all manners of folding and weird PCCS. It was cheaper in the long run to buy the sig, stamp it, can it, and be done.

I guess I should have clarified it would be around 10.5" not any shorter than that.

I took it more of a why do you need something vs helpful information? There was no explanation just a question of why? My bad Burdy Burdy if I took the text incorrectly. Would love your suggestion

Karen here, just checking in.

I think steviesterno steviesterno gives some good advice here on not buying the Q. I will also add that my experience with a Q (Sugar weasel) produced pretty poor accuracy with a number of different rounds. I got better accuracy from my 5.5" rattler, however hated not having a forward assist, so moved up to the 6.75" MCX (LE Virtus Variant) and also got great accuracy from it as well.

I ended up moving on from MCX's however as I just didn't like the forward balance of the weapon. It was just something that never felt right to me. My AR builds tend to be balanced either neutral or heavier toward the rear.

In the end, I built a 8.2" DI .300 Blk SBR with a Mojave 9 suppressor and a 12.5" rail covering the combo. I just prefer the balance and ergos of a forged DI gun. It's that simple. I also don't like any handguard shorter than 12.5" as I run a 12.5" LOP so my support hand extends to about 11" on the rail. I did not use a folder.

After having a couple "bag" guns like the rattler and 6.75" MCX, I just found that what looked cool on paper, was never really practical. That "bag" is still heavy, still cumbersome and just not something you want to tote around in public all day. 95% of the time, it was left at home. If it had to be used, I do believe in my hands at least it would be less capable than the 8.2" gun I have built. Your mileage may vary.

ReganR6 ReganR6 when you ask for a PDW suggestion in 5.56, I think most would not assume you are meaning 10.5" or longer, which is why you had so many people including myself telling you not to go 5.56. I will go one step further and say if I wanted a short 5.56 gun, I would stop at 11.5".

As far as a true PDW, baggable weapon, my brother runs a CMMG 5.7 upper with a Mask suppressor, extended rail with a folding stock and it is incredibly compact and light and easy to carry. From what I have seen, its been a finicky feeder but he has likely not attempted to tune it like I would have at this point. A reliable 5.7 would definitely work in a pinch provided you made your shots count. The ammo is light and recoil is non-existent. I do think it is more viable in a small PDW than most make it out to be.

Karen here, just checking in.

I think steviesterno steviesterno gives some good advice here on not buying the Q. I will also add that my experience with a Q (Sugar weasel) produced pretty poor accuracy with a number of different rounds. I got better accuracy from my 5.5" rattler, however hated not having a forward assist, so moved up to the 6.75" MCX (LE Virtus Variant) and also got great accuracy from it as well.

I ended up moving on from MCX's however as I just didn't like the forward balance of the weapon. It was just something that never felt right to me. My AR builds tend to be balanced either neutral or heavier toward the rear.

In the end, I built a 8.2" DI .300 Blk SBR with a Mojave 9 suppressor and a 12.5" rail covering the combo. I just prefer the balance and ergos of a forged DI gun. It's that simple. I also don't like any handguard shorter than 12.5" as I run a 12.5" LOP so my support hand extends to about 11" on the rail. I did not use a folder.

After having a couple "bag" guns like the rattler and 6.75" MCX, I just found that what looked cool on paper, was never really practical. That "bag" is still heavy, still cumbersome and just not something you want to tote around in public all day. 95% of the time, it was left at home. If it had to be used, I do believe in my hands at least it would be less capable than the 8.2" gun I have built. Your mileage may vary.

ReganR6 ReganR6 when you ask for a PDW suggestion in 5.56, I think most would not assume you are meaning 10.5" or longer, which is why you had so many people including myself telling you not to go 5.56. I will go one step further and say if I wanted a short 5.56 gun, I would stop at 11.5".

As far as a true PDW, baggable weapon, my brother runs a CMMG 5.7 upper with a Mask suppressor, extended rail with a folding stock and it is incredibly compact and light and easy to carry. From what I have seen, its been a finicky feeder but he has likely not attempted to tune it like I would have at this point. A reliable 5.7 would definitely work in a pinch provided you made your shots count. The ammo is light and recoil is non-existent. I do think it is more viable in a small PDW than most make it out to be.

Thank for that thorough breakdown! That makes a lot more sense and helps with my decision moving forward.

Also, my bad on the Karen comment again. Sounds like I took it out of context bud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom