• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

357 Lever gun for my son

Your welcome very much. Your mindset of a heirloom gun with "travel experience" is so much the right way of thinking and I hope some other dads and moms pick up on it. What a great specific experience to leave your little one(s). On that note, I do recommend a higher end firearm like your talking about with a Henry. Simple reason is that a heirloom firearm should last multiple lifetimes. Not to get into religion but imagine looking down from Heaven at your great grandchild who just received his families Henry and his Dad knows that the gun will still go bang and never let he or she down. What a proud moment. Again, great job.

I was given a handgun that belonged to my grandmother upon her passing that was given to her by my uncle. He passed the gun along to me with the blessings of my two cousins. I held on to the firearm for years feeling that I was a stewart. Years later (probably 10 to 12) I passed the firearm along to one of my cousins children at his wedding. I gathered the appropriate men for the private exchange and in my heart I felt it was the right time. It's a meaningful experience when one gets a teary eyed response from a grown young man on his wedding day that has to do with something other than his wonderful new bride. Great experience. I can speak from having been part of the family, historical chain, excellent job.

M MNRSports thank you for that story, it sounds great. I am the first in my family to be into firearms, so trying to do it right for the future. I did manage to get my grandfather's service revolvers (after trying for 10 years after his passing to get them from my anti-gun, NYC family who may have taken them off the display table at his wake) so that I could be sure they are taken care of and stay with family that appreciates them, rather than turned in at some future buyback.

My first son (5 now) was the kick I needed to buy a Les Baer. That thing is wearing thin in the blue but only adds to the story. With some care and attention it should last many lifetimes. I wanted something else for my second son, as I don't want to carry 2 handguns or have to pick which to take where. I figured something that has some real use would be great, plus something in a caliber that could be put to use should it be needed would make more sense than 22s.

I mean, who are we kidding, I'll be buying a lot of guns for my "sons" that I'll enjoy in the mean time, but I ordered the Henry today! Now to find a decent scabbard, sling, and maybe ammo

M MNRSports thank you for that story, it sounds great. I am the first in my family to be into firearms, so trying to do it right for the future. I did manage to get my grandfather's service revolvers (after trying for 10 years after his passing to get them from my anti-gun, NYC family who may have taken them off the display table at his wake) so that I could be sure they are taken care of and stay with family that appreciates them, rather than turned in at some future buyback.

My first son (5 now) was the kick I needed to buy a Les Baer. That thing is wearing thin in the blue but only adds to the story. With some care and attention it should last many lifetimes. I wanted something else for my second son, as I don't want to carry 2 handguns or have to pick which to take where. I figured something that has some real use would be great, plus something in a caliber that could be put to use should it be needed would make more sense than 22s.

I mean, who are we kidding, I'll be buying a lot of guns for my "sons" that I'll enjoy in the mean time, but I ordered the Henry today! Now to find a decent scabbard, sling, and maybe ammo
Man, I love your way of thinking. A "Baer and a Henry".....you show off!. All kidding aside absolutely great choices imho. I am in so much support of what you are doing. Great job! Thanks for sharing your experience with this. Others know the value.....some others will learn the value thanks to your story.

Man, I love your way of thinking. A "Baer and a Henry".....you show off!. All kidding aside absolutely great choices imho. I am in so much support of what you are doing. Great job! Thanks for sharing your experience with this. Others know the value.....some others will learn the value thanks to your story.

M MNRSports thanks! Not trying to show off, and I worked a bunch of over time and sold some stuff to put money towards these purchases. My motto is becoming quality over quantity. I've sold off most of the things I don't really like or bought at "this is too good to pass up" over time and put the money towards stuff I'd actually really appreciate.

Do you all go with the 357 over the 44 simply due to the price of the ammo? Or are there other reasons I'm not thinking of?

Power range available, (38 spc plinker to full power 357, lots of variations on the market), as opposed to 44 expense and less variety.

Do you all go with the 357 over the 44 simply due to the price of the ammo? Or are there other reasons I'm not thinking of?
GlockIssue GlockIssue I did 38/357 because I actually have my grandfather's 38 revolvers to pass down. So it made sense to me to give my son something that will take standard ammo. Plus less for me to stock and keep track of.

I didn't want something that would be perfect for a grizzly, but from what I've been reading a decent 357 (underwood, buffalo bore, etc) would be fine for pretty much anything this side of the Mississippi, including black bear. It's also cheaper to shoot, even reloading, and should be produced forever. the rifles hold a few more rounds than 44, too.

I will eventually add to my own 357 collection with a revolver and a box of ammo that works in both a long gun and carry piece appeals to me.

GlockIssue GlockIssue I did 38/357 because I actually have my grandfather's 38 revolvers to pass down. So it made sense to me to give my son something that will take standard ammo. Plus less for me to stock and keep track of.

I didn't want something that would be perfect for a grizzly, but from what I've been reading a decent 357 (underwood, buffalo bore, etc) would be fine for pretty much anything this side of the Mississippi, including black bear. It's also cheaper to shoot, even reloading, and should be produced forever. the rifles hold a few more rounds than 44, too.

I will eventually add to my own 357 collection with a revolver and a box of ammo that works in both a long gun and carry piece appeals to me.

Makes sense. Thanks for the insight. I hope you enjoy!

thanks for the input and help everyone! I worked with Cabelas to order a brand new, Henry 357 16.5" case hardened with the side loading gate! They aren't a steal but still under MSRP, which is great. Estimated a 2 month+ delivery but I'm paid in full and ready!

thanks for the input and help everyone! I worked with Cabelas to order a brand new, Henry 357 16.5" case hardened with the side loading gate! They aren't a steal but still under MSRP, which is great. Estimated a 2 month+ delivery but I'm paid in full and ready!

I'm jelly. Sucks to wait 2+ months, but just think, you'll be all the more appreciative and excited when it arrives.

Back
Top Bottom