• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

2002 tahoe-75,000 miles

I bought an o4 Tahoe with 98k miles on it from a doctor in mountain brook Alabama that bought brand new. it looked as if it had 0 miles on it. Had it advertised for 7k I got it for 6500.00 I would have paid 8k in a heartbeat.

If it's the Z71 you told me about a couple of years ago, I'd probably fork over the $10k. You won't find a Z71 Tahoe from that generation with that low of mileage ever again.

Edit: wait, was that you or someone else? Black Z71?

Last edited:
Disclaimer: Far from being considered a mechanic.

I bought an '04 Z71 with 150k three years ago for $10k from a private seller 2nd owner all service done by dealer. After 35,000mi, this one has been pretty jam up. Get a private mech to give a pre-buy inspection. If the dealer won't, walk away, IMHO. There are a few recurring issues with these. One involving the coolant and corrosion. The other involving instrumentation issues. This one didn't suffer from either, but does have an annoying issue with the HVAC dampers (sometimes blows hot on AC and requires an ignition cycling). I looked at SEVERAL before buying this one that had MANY issues, mostly at dealer lots.

Disclaimer: Far from being considered a mechanic.

I bought an '04 Z71 with 150k three years ago for $10k from a private seller 2nd owner all service done by dealer. After 35,000mi, this one has been pretty jam up. Get a private mech to give a pre-buy inspection. If the dealer won't, walk away, IMHO. There are a few recurring issues with these. One involving the coolant and corrosion. The other involving instrumentation issues. This one didn't suffer from either, but does have an annoying issue with the HVAC dampers (sometimes blows hot on AC and requires an ignition cycling). I looked at SEVERAL before buying this one that had MANY issues, mostly at dealer lots.

Yea, I can vouch for the coolant issues. I'm a Ford guy, but just can't bring myself to accept the ugliness of the Expeditions (could make an exception for the King Ranch). So I looked at a couple of Z71 Tahoe the year before last. Two I looked at were leaking coolant, the worst one in particular - I met the guy in Alpharetta, checked out the body, checked for leaks before the drive, took it for a drive, checked for leaks after the drive starting with the rear end and moving toward the front, and when I popped the hood, it had the obvious coolant odor. Started checking around, coolant leaking from the heater core. Told him no thanks and took off like a bat out of hell.

Within 25000 you will probably need a water pump and need to fix the instrument cluster. Other than these repairs the Tahoes are awesome

Back
Top Bottom