Engine & Transmission on a 2002 Silverado

jcountry

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
I have an 02 silverado.

I have had it since new.

Still works OK, but the transmission is starting to act a little funky at 195k.

When I see prices of new or used trucks, I think about maybe doing an engine & transmission in my silverado and just driving it for a while longer.

My truck has never seen salt and paint is still good.

Wondering is anyone has renovated a truck of this vintage, and whether it would be worth the cost.

The alternative would be a used Tundra or Tacoma when the prices come back to Earth.

Opinions?

Has the transmission been serviced before ?
If not its probably giving signs of needing a rebuild. I would and have get it rebuilt and drive on.

I have a 1989 and a 2007 that lasted til 300k + and had both replaced and still driving.

Has the transmission been serviced before ?
If not its probably giving signs of needing a rebuild. I would and have get it rebuilt and drive on.

I have a 1989 and a 2007 that lasted til 300k + and had both replaced and still driving.
It has been serviced normally.

Was having troubles going in and out of lockup, so I tried some Lucas transmission stuff, and it worked-for now.

Chang me fluid frequently if you have been changing it. A rebuild is. A lot cheaper than a new truck.

Anything Toyota be ready to pay a premium then add a little extra to boot.

200k for a Chevy transmission is good in my book. If you replace the transmission, I would change fluid every 40-60k. Rebuilds usually have some improvements built in.

I have an 02 silverado.

I have had it since new.

Still works OK, but the transmission is starting to act a little funky at 195k.

When I see prices of new or used trucks, I think about maybe doing an engine & transmission in my silverado and just driving it for a while longer.

My truck has never seen salt and paint is still good.

Wondering is anyone has renovated a truck of this vintage, and whether it would be worth the cost.

The alternative would be a used Tundra or Tacoma when the prices come back to Earth.

Opinions?

Rebuild that tranny and keep rolling. I sold one with 350k on the odometer and the only thing I did to it was rebuild the tranny and "refresh" the rear end at 300k with a new differential bearing set. You have one of the good ones. After 2007 I think, GM started adding the cylinder delete and ridiculous fuel managment software that screwed the reliability and longevity up.

Rebuild that tranny and keep rolling. I sold one with 350k on the odometer and the only thing I did to it was rebuild the tranny and "refresh" the rear end at 300k with a new differential bearing set. You have one of the good ones. After 2007 I think, GM started adding the cylinder delete and ridiculous fuel managment software that screwed the reliability and longevity up.

Oh man....

I have heard about that cylinder thing. I have a friend who had to replace his engine because it screwed up.

I think I'll probably go the refurbish route. Newer truck prices have gone completely insane.

Anyone replace an engine in one of these? Seems like I heard the 6 cylinder is better than the V8s of this era, but I can't remember why.

Oh man....

I have heard about that cylinder thing. I have a friend who had to replace his engine because it screwed up.

I think I'll probably go the refurbish route. Newer truck prices have gone completely insane.

Anyone replace an engine in one of these? Seems like I heard the 6 cylinder is better than the V8s of this era, but I can't remember why.

The 5.3l V8 that came in most of those trucks is a legend. The V6 was reliable but the V8 is where it's at. The V6 was literally the same engine with two cylinders lopped off (and less Hp and torque) and I think a balancer shaft added for vibrations. I wouldnt worry about the engine with the miles you have on it. A lot of hot rod guys pick them up out of wrecked trucks in junkyards and simply pull them apart and replace the gaskets and run the heck out of them. Or you could buy a reman and reuse your intake and oil pan and accessories to freshen the beast up.

Back
Top Bottom