• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

1949 Marlin 336 Refinish

I like the pilkingtons best for alloy steels in modern rifles. It is a very fine black oxide that stays on the steel like flies in the outhouse. The Laurel Mountain Forge Barrel Brown will work fine too for browning or blackening steel but on the modern alloys I've found it to have a courser texture and it dosn't wear nearly as long on the harder steels. The laurel seems at its best on the softer alloy steels of the muzzleloading barrels and if done slowely it produces a stunning plumb brown that wears fantastic for years on the softer alloys.

Should be headed to the range within the hour!

I put it up for sale here on one of the NC Boards...some one here needs a good shooter and I can use the proceeds to do some more projects but this time on my own guns...perhaps triggers for my 700 and my 450 Bushmaster and I may go ahead and work up a DIY on makeing Rifle Tang Sights in the $10 range.

Last edited:
Not bad, considering my old eyes. I didn't move the sights much at all. This was fired off my knees at 25 yards for rough sight in and included 150g Win factory, 160g LeverEvolution and 180g RN Handloads.

From there we went to shooting from the braced knees at 10" steel swingers at 75 yards. Mostly those were good solid hits and really moves the swinger around a bunch.

From there we fired both the Cougar and my sisters 336A short barrel rifle at the 16" 100 yard swinger. A bit harder, especially with Iron Sights compared to her scope (she got 6 of 6 at 100 yards) but I got 4 of 7 with irons!

As I thought, the action is still very tight. Reliability is 100% with snappy function of the lever in both directions. Right now, it still locks up tight enough that a good swift throw closed will assure proper function untill the bolt lock seats in perfectly with some more use. Every once in a while I'd baby this old gal and she'd misfire so it still needs a bit of time working the lever back and forth. I think this is best done at the range. In all, out of 100 shots today, she misfired two times because I didn't close her up just tight enough.

Heres todays quick target fired off braced knees and I wish yall could have been there to see that steel swing with nearly every single shot. Now my sister with her short barreled scoped 336A, she's gonna be one serious deer and hog killer at any range out to 150 yards I'm sure.

i.imgur.com_TtNVW.jpg

Back
Top Bottom