• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1949 Marlin 336 Refinish

CRIKEY MATE! North Cakalaki? I missed THAT part. Not sure I have the intestinal fortitude to dis-resemble my gun like that. I might end up with pieces left over when I put it back together. ;)

I took a few bag guns to a friendly neighborhood gunsmith before, he was always kind enough to believe I bought it that way and show me how to put er back together and in shootin shape.

HA! Good thing I wasn't taking a sip of my Coke when I read that. Spraying coca cola out of your nose stings!

Yep, he's a good fella and top knotch smith. Sure raised me up pretty good, not sure why, guess under the guff some of them have a soft spot for knuckleheads that keep trying.

Sights are on. First small dent in the forend is done too. Woo, glad the first dent is overwith. Now, like a pick up truck carrying its first load of gravel and railroad ties in that pretty bed, I can get to work without worries.

Both sights are Marbles. Long leg, Full Buckhorn rear and bright brass bead front. Looks nice. Got them centered by eyeball. It'll be up to the shooter to bang them around till they are fully adjusted for windage and elevation.

Attachments

• sights 001.JPG
    sights 001.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 60
  • sights 002.JPG
    sights 002.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 61
  • sights 003.JPG
    sights 003.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 61
  • sights 004.JPG
    sights 004.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 63
Sights are on. First small dent in the forend is done too. Woo, glad the first dent is overwith. Now, like a pick up truck carrying its first load of gravel and railroad ties in that pretty bed, I can get to work without worries.

Both sights are Marbles. Long leg, Full Buckhorn rear and bright brass bead front. Looks nice. Got them centered by eyeball. It'll be up to the shooter to bang them around till they are fully adjusted for windage and elevation.

Are you doing all this work to turn right around and sell it? Or are you doing this for somebody? i think I missed something.

Yes. Its a project. They get sold or traded when done for another project....unless I can't live with out it. I have a Buffalo Bill 3030 undergoing restoration and colorcase hardening. Its the keeper, this one go's.

A humid evening in the garage. 45 minutes into the first rust and just prior to application of the second thin coat of solution, a superb bloom of rust. These parts are finished by wire brush and then followed up with worn 150 grit on the jitter bug. There is some small pitting but most removed and the rest is small enough to get lost in the satin finish. I think they will look just fine in a few days.

Won't be long now. Might as well start polishing up screw heads and reblueing them. With luck, this project will wrap up in a week or two...just in time to shoot it a lot before hunting season.

Attachments

• Small Parts first rust 001.JPG
    Small Parts first rust 001.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom