• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wow.

Im all for supporting our troops. My nephew and a few other family members served but why do some feel like they deserve special treatment? You still have to pay your bills, obey the law etc. If you were drafted then that would be one thing. You made a choice to join. You still have to follow the rules when you come home. Im failing to make the connection of why this guy should not be foreclosed on when he CHOSE to not pay his bills.

At first glance, that graffiti strikes an emotional chord; it screams "How can we do that to a vet?". Then I sat for about 10 seconds and thought, "wait. He signed that mortgage. He should've gotten one he could afford; if he was affording it on his military pay, he should've stayed military." And then I think about my life.

A few years ago, I was laid off a job. My wife and I were able to make the ends meet, just barely, and that mortgage that worked well when I was working was suddenly a pretty big deal. We contacted our lender to ask for any considerations that could be made (like with student loans--forebearances, etc) and they pretty much said "We can't help you until you're in default." We kept current, but it chafed that I had to basically NOT BE PAYING before they'd pay attention. Sucktastic.

My wife and I intentionally purchased a house that we could afford with one paycheck (albeit barely, it is doable). We considered the future and we planned accordingly.

Of course there's more to this spray-painted story, and the vandal is attempting to get us to feel sorry for him because of the line of work he volunteered to do and the debtload he volunteered to assume.

Every single serviceperson deserves gratitude for the job that they do, but one must temper that gratitude with the knowledge that every servicemember in our modern era is an employee fulfilling a freely-entered contract. Simply wearing the uniform doesn't make a person great; their character, actions, and behavior makes them great. Plenty of bad guys wear camo (and badges); you are not defined solely by your job. You are defined by how good of a job you do.

In this case, financial management was an epic fail.

You know I was always taught to help your own and then if there was some left you were to try and help those in need. Some how it's got turned around to helping those who are not even supposed to be here and let our fellow countrymen do without.

Fact is, he should know better. If he served three tours in Iraq then he's not some kid. If he thinks his three tours guarantee him free rent/mortgage then he's no better than the leeches on the system, regardless oh when or where he served.

You know I was always taught to help your own and then if there was some left you were to try and help those in need. Some how it's got turned around to helping those who are not even supposed to be here and let our fellow countrymen do without.

WTF does that got to do with this guy not paying his mortgage. VET or NOT you have to pay your bills. My tax dollars should not go to illegals any more than a vet who pissed his money away and did not pay his bills.
- - - Updated - - -

Fact is, he should know better. If he served three tours in Iraq then he's not some kid. If he thinks his three tours guarantee him free rent/mortgage then he's no better than the leeches on the system, regardless oh when or where he served.

THIS! Well put.

Last edited:
Have you guys forgotten how little our men and women in the military bring home. I am proud he or she even had the nads to try and purchase a home on what they get paid. Not trying to start anything but I grew up in a military family and we just did get by. I have friends and family whom have been in the military in the past few years and from what I have been told it's even harder to make ends meet now.

I am probably going to get flamed-but what the heck, I need a suntan!! I don't any think nation compensates our military as well as this country. There is a large number of programs out there to help current, retired and former military members. A person knows when they sign the line they ain't going on vacation. You agree to fight for the interests of the US (wether or not you agree with them) and we will pay you "X" amount of dollars. There are a large number of people back home who will support you, will only vote for political officials who support you, and go out of their way when they see you in person and tell you thanks. What do I expect in return? Maybe do our country proud-you are our embassador of sorts in the remote sh*tholes of the world, don't do something stupid that might get posted on Youtube and embarrass us. And if I am your next door neighbor who is paying my bills like I am supposed to, and my taxes, and keeping my house up, I expect you to take care and pay for your house because its decreased value effects me. If you have extenuating circumstances-I'm there for you brother!!! But you have rules to live by just like me, and if you think you don't have to keep up someplace like base housing-think again!!!

Burn the house?? Hell-I appreciate that, now I have a sh*thole next door to me and when they eventually bulldoze down the debris and remove it (IF they do) I now have a vacant lot next door. Think that's not going to effect the value of my house??I worked hard to pay for my house, payed my taxes which went towards YOUR training and salary and because you didn't manage YOUR money, I am going to pay in more ways than one. And please don't make me post a copy of my DD214 in order to see if I am "qualified" to think that some people are coddled because of their military status.The reason this country is in the tank the first place is too many people living beyond their means and want somebody else to pick up the tab.

Have you guys forgotten how little our men and women in the military bring home. I am proud he or she even had the nads to try and purchase a home on what they get paid. Not trying to start anything but I grew up in a military family and we just did get by. I have friends and family whom have been in the military in the past few years and from what I have been told it's even harder to make ends meet now.

My nephew came out with quite a lot. I dont even think he was a higher rank than this person. I dont make what this guy made. I keep a house?

Back
Top Bottom