• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why would anyone leave their home

we all know our situation the best, some will make good choice's some will make bad choice's.

we just all need to hope we never have to make those choice's

WHERE your current home is plays a major factor in going mobile or bugging in. My Dad lives in northern Wyoming. There is not a lot to worry about out there initially. I live in Kennesaw. In comparison, I have a lot to worry about in terms of safety.

"How prepared is your home?" Is another factor that comes into play immediately. There are immediate needs and concerns, and then there are long term.

Preparedness for as many situations as possible is the goal. So no matter what happens, you know you have a plan and the resources to survive.

i would prefer to stay in my home... if looters came I feel I could defend my home very easily...

but pissed off, shot up looters can still burn something to the ground if they want. If you are able to fend them off, what prevents them coming back and water balloon launcher and chunk a molotov onto your roof? house burns... supplies destroyed... you are forced out and they are waiting... then they eat your dog.

Last edited:
i would prefer to stay in my home... if looters came I feel I could defend my home very easily...

but pissed off, shot up looters can still burn something to the ground if they want. If you are able to fend them off, what prevents them coming back and water balloon launcher and chunk a molotov onto your roof? house burns... supplies destroyed... you are forced out and they are waiting... then they eat your dog.
That was my point exactly! you either come out or die from smoke and flame, and they will be waiting. It worked at Waco, remember?

I'll be in trouble ! Living in a rural area most all my nearest neighbors for several miles around are elderly "widow women" and I'll have to gather them all up and bring them to my location(if their family does'nt). My siblings and offspring will have their own to look after, so no help there. Food and water, firearms, ammo will not be a problem, the problem will be a bunch of women trying to tell me what to do. Hell, I might just surrender or join the other side just to get away, LOL

The biggest problem at first will be the hordes of unprepared people that exit Atlanta and head north to the mountains. This horde will ransack their way to what they believe will be salvation. I tend to think about two weeks of this migration and then you will see it ease off. You need to be able to secure your home. Lower level windows need to be boarded up. Garage doors need to be padlocked. Main level doors and their frames need to be bolstered. Make it look as much a bunker as you can. Who would choose to try to enter the house will barb wire around it and sign saying trespassers shot on sight, when the next house is visually unprotected? work with other like minded folks and focus on several families that band together for protection.Safety in numbers. Fires are a possibility. Plan for it as well. Think about having fire plans added to your over all survival plan. Learn to use that rifle with a scope. Make it hard as hell and as costly as possible for the invaders and they will move on.

The biggest problem at first will be the hordes of unprepared people that exit Atlanta and head north to the mountains. This horde will ransack their way to what they believe will be salvation. I tend to think about two weeks of this migration and then you will see it ease off. You need to be able to secure your home. Lower level windows need to be boarded up. Garage doors need to be padlocked. Main level doors and their frames need to be bolstered. Make it look as much a bunker as you can. Who would choose to try to enter the house will barb wire around it and sign saying trespassers shot on sight, when the next house is visually unprotected? work with other like minded folks and focus on several families that band together for protection.Safety in numbers. Fires are a possibility. Plan for it as well. Think about having fire plans added to your over all survival plan. Learn to use that rifle with a scope. Make it hard as hell and as costly as possible for the invaders and they will move on.

I agree that the exodus will be like a swarm of locusts eating everything they can get their hands on..or should I say CONSUMING to include anything they think they can use. About the only thing I disagree with is making your home look like a bunker. I think you need to make it BE a bunker while looking like an abandoned, pilfered husk with nothing worth looking at. Few if any homes can withstand the determined assault by someone who has both the will and time to do whatever it takes, including burning you out. All you do by marking yourself as a bunker is mark your home as a resource rich cache.

I agree, Home is where I will be until it is unsafe. Depending on the threat I may have to reconsider after the "event"

Now you're getting it! It's not just a matter of bug in or bug out. Selection of your sanctuary and survival group is critical. Being on the move causes all kinds of problems because you are constantly looking for food, water and shelter. You will also be moving into unknown circumstances all the time while looking for what you need to live. That's very dangerous. If you have chosen wisely in both place and people for your sanctuary it will be defensible. It's not as easy to set fire to a house as you may think. If you have thought it out you will be ready to easily extinguish an external fire. Place your water storage tanks on the roof in the right places with remote dumps and you can pull a rope and the fire is out. However, that should be a last resort. The first line of defense is to be off the beaten path so few will know you're there. The second is having a clear perimeter that would be very hard to get past without being spotted. They would have to be close to set the fire in the first place. The reason you need enough of the right people in the group is so the perimeter can be monitored 24/7 and substantial fire power can be brought to bear on anyone trying to get close without an invitation.

Gets complicated quick, doesn't it? That's why people that really are ready for SHTF are called preppers. There's a lot of preparation involved. It's a lot more than buying a couple of weapons and some ammo.

If you choose to be on the move you will inevitably become a looter yourself. In a survival situation looters are the bad guys.

Last edited:
Now you're getting it! It's not just a matter of bug in or bug out. Selection of your sanctuary and survival group is critical. Being on the move causes all kinds of problems because you are constantly looking for food, water and shelter. You will also be moving into unknown circumstances all the time while looking for what you need to live. That's very dangerous. If you have chosen wisely in both place and people for your sanctuary it will be defensible. It's not as easy to set fire to a house as you may think. If you have thought it out you will be ready to easily extinguish an external fire. Place your water storage tanks on the roof in the right places with remote dumps and you can pull a rope and the fire is out. However, that should be a last resort. The first line of defense is to be off the beaten path so few will know you're there. The second is having a clear perimeter that would be very hard to get past without being spotted. They would have to be close to set the fire in the first place. The reason you need enough of the right people in the group is so the perimeter can be monitored 24/7 and substantial fire power can be brought to bear on anyone trying to get close without an invitation.

Gets complicated quick, doesn't it? That's why people that really are ready for SHTF are called preppers. There's a lot of preparation involved. It's a lot more than buying a couple of weapons and some ammo.

If you choose to be on the move you will inevitably become a looter yourself. In a survival situation looters are the bad guys.

So true.....but there may come a point and time where you have to abandon your home. Need to make provisions for that scenario.......at a bare minimum make sure you have a place to go if you have to abandon your home. Get to know you locale for possible routes of escape. I think survival plans in general should move beyond the individual and small group levels....what can be done at the community level to redirect the hordes away from or around your community or a portion thereof.

Back
Top Bottom