• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why would anyone leave their home

Bouvier

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
22   0
Reaction score
If shtf were to happen, why would so many people want to leave their home? My home is very important to me, working very hard to pay for it. I can understand if you own a second home and feel safer there. Would your forefarthers run away from everything that they had earned through hard work? Just trying to understand.

Only reason I could see leaving for is to get to a safer location, house can be replaced. Or going to find other family members

I think it depends on the level of this so called " SHTF" you speak of. Certain severity would mean your house as a "value" would mean nothing. Money could possible cease to exist, at least for quite a while. Plus homes may be ransacked by forces much larger than you can defend.

Being mobile creates more options and flexibility.

Would you feel the same about your favorite vehicle? It's valuable and you worked hard for it.

Problem with these scenarios, is we draw off Speilburg, Bay, Scott and other movie producers for the quasi reality at all.

If we are talking about a nationwide power outage, say 1 month, I don't see people abandoning homes. But how long do you "bug in"

It's all hypothetical at best.

I think it depends on the level of this so called " SHTF" you speak of. Certain severity would mean your house as a "value" would mean nothing. Money could possible cease to exist, at least for quite a while. Plus homes may be ransacked by forces much larger than you can defend.

Being mobile creates more options and flexibility.

Would you feel the same about your favorite vehicle? It's valuable and you worked hard for it.

Problem with these scenarios, is we draw off Speilburg, Bay, Scott and other movie producers for the quasi reality at all.

If we are talking about a nationwide power outage, say 1 month, I don't see people abandoning homes. But how long do you "bug in"

It's all hypothetical at best.

Wow very nicely said!

It would depend on several factors. Your home is so great because it has light, heat/cooling, clean drinking water, shelter and some security. Depending on the type and duration of SHTF your home may no longer provide those things and you may have to relocate to find any or all of them. Let's say the problem is long term. Water is definitely going to be a problem unless you have a well with hand pump or open water source VERY close. I live within a mile of a lake but it is still a problem long term. Daily hikes to the lake(downhill) and back(uphill) loaded down with a few gallons of water will eventually be dangerous and onerous. Cooking, boiling lake water and keeping heat will require fire since there will be no electricity or gas. Don't want to be lighting fires in the house. OK I have a fireplace but like most, it is not designed for cooking and is small and inaccessible.

How about security. When you bought your house were you thinking about how well you could trust your neighbors to plan ahead so that your stores of food wouldn't turn them into envious enemies? Can you stand back to back with them to fend off marauders if need be? If your house is fairly isolated can you be sure that your smoke won't be seen, drawing predators? Maybe bugging out to a communal bivouac area makes more sense so you can join a group and share chores. Of course, if you bought your home with all this in mind then you probably have a core group around you and are good to go.

Not me, unfortunately.

All good answers for sure. Water is the biggest issue I can see as if shtf you can be sure that the power will go out. Heck around here if a gentle wind kicks up it goes out. Modern homes even if you had a way to cook and get water are not bulletproof. Heck many are not even bullet resistent. Don't let that brick lull you into a false sense of security. This is why many would leave- to go someplace safer. IMHO - people wiLl have to band together eventually in fortress towns or communities to protect themselves cattle crops etc from thieves and marauders.
Static fortifications will make a comeback.

Many say why? Are they not outmoded? Well when your enemy has artillery tanks planes etc well yes. How many marauders will have these things when shtf? And if some manage to get them how long will they have fuel/ammo etc and skills to operate them?

No I think we will be set back to the 16th century for the most part with a few modern conveinances dribbled in.

Too many variables to answer this question. In some situations home would be best, depending on your preparations and local to the "event" Other times getting out of dodge would be better.

Depends on the severity of the situation.

We've made the decision to buy a sustainable home in a desirable rural/rural town location even if that means we have to lease close to where I work.

People underestimate what will happen in a regional or national grid down situation. Store shelves are empty within 48-72 hours, water is no longer drinkable within 72 hours and may not be available if it's pumped. People on average have less than three days of food stored (that's a statistic that's frequently repeated). The only fuel available is what you have in your vehicle and/or stored. An exodus from inner cities and some neighborhoods in the suburbs will start within a week. Of course, we're assuming the government will arrive with help.

Being out of power for a week or two is rare but I've been through it and it wasn't pretty. Went through a few hurricanes within weeks of each other in Central Florida. Things got really interesting when people were lining up for water trucks to arrive and frozen/fresh food was rotting in the grocery stores which were locked up for a few days. Canned goods were sold out. We were out of power for two weeks and we survived off of stored propane tanks, our grill and a little stored food. People were using their mower gas to get around and drive 20+ miles to find a workingmanned gas station. FEMA didn't show up for a few weeks. And that was a regional hit, and we had warning with each approaching hurricane. Anything longer and yes, I would have sent my wife and kids to be with family in CT.

We have a very cushy supply system where we get what we want, when we want it. Take away people's food for a few days, and things will get ugly. Where you live and what you have stored will make all the difference in the world. Part of the plan needs to include what happens if you need to go mobile.

Last edited:
Lots of good responses. Bug in until it is no longer safe for you and your loved ones to do so....the timing of when to bug out is crucial and not an exact science. I would much rather bugout earlier than later. The bottom line........my life and the lives of my family are much more important than a house.

Simple questions.
Is it a situation were others have formed into dangerous scavenging groups?
Is your current home likely to be a target for these scavengers?
Is your current home easily defensible over a long period of time?

If the answers are "yes, yes and no" it's time to go and you better hope you have a better place to go to. Being constantly mobile is a VERY bad idea for long term survival. You need a good sanctuary.

Back
Top Bottom