• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why would anyone leave their home

Simple questions.
Is it a situation were others have formed into dangerous scavenging groups?
Is your current home likely to be a target for these scavengers?
Is your current home easily defensible over a long period of time?

If the answers are "yes, yes and no" it's time to go and you better hope you have a better place to go to. Being constantly mobile is a VERY bad idea for long term survival. You need a good sanctuary.

Nice litmus test!

I would be one of the ones to bug out. Some of us aren't fortunate enough to have a nice house and neighbors. I live in an apartment complex in Norcross. I don't trust 85% of the neighbors as far as I could throw them. We've already had packages stolen from our front door. We'd pack up the fiance's SUV and head to her fathers where we would be much safer. Like some said though, it would depend on the situation. I've been through the "natural disaster" scenario when Hugo LEVELED Charleston. I know the do's and don'ts to a survivable degree.

I have a few great neighbors but some couple blocks over are thugs. But seems they are different thugs here versus metro. Moved out here 4 yrs ago from metro

Simple questions.
Is it a situation were others have formed into dangerous scavenging groups?
Is your current home likely to be a target for these scavengers?
Is your current home easily defensible over a long period of time?

If the answers are "yes, yes and no" it's time to go and you better hope you have a better place to go to. Being constantly mobile is a VERY bad idea for long term survival. You need a good sanctuary.

Great stuff.
Consider a few families that huddle together. security will be 24/7 issue. safety in numbers.
oh and don't forget the sanitation problems as well.

Too many variables to answer this question. In some situations home would be best, depending on your preparations and local to the "event" Other times getting out of dodge would be better.
This.......I think if the situation got" really really bad" you would be safer on the move traveling at night and on foot ,with sidearm ,rifle, and blade,ect ect.
Unless you live in something that looks like a German Bunker or underground.? homes can be burned out.
You can only carry somuch. and then its hunt on the down low after that.

I gotta tell ya, I think Hobbittown in the Shire was the IDEAL bug in community. Homes almost completely underground, fresh water supply, sheltered from the worst of the elements and off the beaten track except for one road in and out. Gotta find me a cul de sac like that. ;)

This.......I think if the situation got" really really bad" you would be safer on the move traveling at night and on foot ,with sidearm ,rifle, and blade,ect ect.
Unless you live in something that looks like a German Bunker or underground.? homes can be burned out.
You can only carry somuch. and then its hunt on the down low after that.

Basic military concept. When dealing with a secure location, it takes three times as many attackers as defenders to take the place. You will also be dealing with opportunistic attackers. If you make it not worth their while they will move on. A location that is strategically sound and off the beaten path is the type of sanctuary needed. Congregate enough people to put up a reasonable defense and that also have a good set of specialized skills for long term survival. This is the reason that people create survival groups. Being on the move is a short term emergency strategy at best. Typically the most dangerous time in a survival situation is right at the start when you are traveling to your sanctuary.

I'm right here till the end. I know my area very well, the resources I have or can have would be just as good if not better as anywhere else. In a SHTF situataion, I would have no problem dropping a theif or someone trying to take my house right where he stood.

Back
Top Bottom