• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why I switched to Glock.

Referencing the first post my transition was from a high end 1911 to a Sig then to one Glock then to a flock of Glocks that all operate the same & share the same parts including mags. (for the most part).

As you noted there is a tremendous difference in alternating between the two operating types I.e. 1911 S/A w/ manual safety vs. "Safe Action" striker fired w/ passive safeties.
As you also noted the grip angle is significantly different.
Consistently 1911 guys bring Glocks or similar style polymer framed striker fired guns to train with.
I couldn't even count how often I've seen it.
My old Instructors & for years now I too have been easily able to watch how a student shoots their gun & guess which one is transitioning from 1911's to Glocks.

While the 1911's do have what I consider the "worlds greatest" FACTORY trigger the simple install of a "minus" connector along with a smooth trigger bar and maybe a light polish & practicing dedicated shooting from reset to "re-educate" ones trigger finger makes the Glock approximate a good S/A trigger in my experience.

I carried 1911 condition one, cocked and locked for a decade or more. But I have transitioned to striker fired, polymer pistols as well. A Glock 22 sets on the night stand. I carried a G36 for another decade. I carry a Kahr 9mm but it is simply of "comfort" but it has its effectiveness as well.

Glocks are really good defensive firearms. Easy to employ, easy to train a novice to use.

Reactions: MRH
...You don't even need to use a different mag, though almost everyone will tell you differently. I tested this and you can run 9mm from a 40 mag or 40 from a 9mm mag and the weapon runs 100% reliably...

Yup, it'll work until you drop it them on the ground just right... Then you get a fountain of 9mm popping out of those slightly-too-wide feed lips. Ask me how I know <grin>.

At least the 357 & 40 use the same mag.

Yep. Another good caliber you can have if you're wiling to drop an extra $100 on the conversion barrel.

I have never tried shooting 9mm out of my .40 mags though I have been told by more than one very experienced shooter that it works fine. I do have some dedicated 9mm G17 mags for my G22 and they work perfectly.

I stockpile 9mm and .40 cheap and deep. I have a number of a few thousand rounds and anything over that amount is what I train and practice with.

Now if we can only get more of you guys to accept the reality that the AK is the Glock of rifles...:) Sorry, I had to...

images-1.jpeg

For some reason or another, I've always had zero interest in the gun I always see the bad guys using.

Ah but how bittersweet it would be to take out bad guys with their own weapons. The weapons aren't evil. Only an individual can pull that off. And regardless of their history they are great weapons.

Back
Top Bottom