Why I switched to Glock.

Yep. Another good caliber you can have if you're wiling to drop an extra $100 on the conversion barrel.

I have never tried shooting 9mm out of my .40 mags though I have been told by more than one very experienced shooter that it works fine. I do have some dedicated 9mm G17 mags for my G22 and they work perfectly.

I stockpile 9mm and .40 cheap and deep. I have a number of a few thousand rounds and anything over that amount is what I train and practice with.

Now if we can only get more of you guys to accept the reality that the AK is the Glock of rifles...:) Sorry, I had to...
True, but I'm not going to shoot my Glock at 400 plus yards. I will shoot my rifle at those ranges and expect the ability to make first round hits. That rules out the AK.

Bear, your logic is based around training frequency and type. I would assume (from some of your other posts) that you "train how you fight". That methodologie has moved more people to the Glock than anything else.
It's what did it for me years ago, but I still have a 1911 (unxle Sam gave me my first 1911 and I'll always have one). I find, more often than not, the people that argue your logic or claim another brand is better lack the experience of "adverse" training having never gotten the whole picture. Very few guns won't run wonderfully standing still at a range and the 1911's of our father's and grandfather's are not the same as what we have today.

Agreed. In my experience (especially over the 5 years that I ran my school as my full-time occupation) those people who were critical of Glocks but favored brand "A, B, or C" had little or no context to base their judgment on other than theory.

Gun "collectors" would show up for a class with their trusted (but untested) "Super Blaster Zombie Killer Mass Exterminator 2000" cerakoted in tiger stripe camo... or just an out of the box 1911 & once drills would begin it would start "choking & puking" (as Tiger Mckee used to say) all over the range.

No, the Glock is not the perfect gun for everyone & yes there are other reliable options available but day in & day out when it comes to reliability under hard, real world conditions it is the standard by which everything else is judged by.

I believe that is the primary reason it is still the top gun carried by most professional Instructors & those who go in harms way that have a choice in their defensive sidearm.

Last edited:
It is sad man I love 1911s but reliability has always been an issue for me as well.
Yeah, the primary reason I kept this last 1911 was because, as you know, I converted it to 460 for hunting. It was working double duty at a nightstand gun without the conversion because I want a weapon with a longer sight radius for home defense than the 36 has and the 22 stays packed in the Go Bag. Once I discovered the problem with the shift in my natural point that secondary job was no longer a good idea. Even though I'm selling it for way under value, I will still be able to do everything I want for set up on a Glock 21 and have a few bucks left over. That works for me.

Bear, your logic is based around training frequency and type. I would assume (from some of your other posts) that you "train how you fight". That methodologie has moved more people to the Glock than anything else.
It's what did it for me years ago, but I still have a 1911 (unxle Sam gave me my first 1911 and I'll always have one). I find, more often than not, the people that argue your logic or claim another brand is better lack the experience of "adverse" training having never gotten the whole picture. Very few guns won't run wonderfully standing still at a range and the 1911's of our father's and grandfather's are not the same as what we have today.
I have always been one of those guys that can get a 1911 to run very well, but "very well" is a relative term. At one point I had a Para Ord high cap 1911 for SHTF, but when thinking about the adverse conditions that could occur in that situation there was always a doubt about the weapon in the back of my mind. Even when making these relatively recent changes in my kit I strongly considered going back to a high cap 1911. I had been using a single stack 1911 for SHTF, but really wanted that higher capacity. As soon as I knew I would not have interchangeability of mags between my EDC and SHTF weapon, it opened the door for a domino effect in decision making that ended up with a Glock. It turns out there is another benefit, too.

I just got a Just Right Carbine that has replaced my AR as part of my Go Bag. It takes any double stack Glock 9mm mag, including the 33 round. Now I have interchangeability between my sidearm and my rifle mags. I like that a lot. You can even get a 40 S&W conversion for it, just like my sidearm.

tried a few Glocks but none these days... they simply do not fit me

shot the 1911 for well over 40 years so sight picture is not an issue..

reliability is not a issue for me either as I build my own weapons and trust them completely.

Wifey does like her 23, though she carries a P238

Back
Top Bottom