• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Who is the SKS expert here?

NWSharpshooter

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
563   0
Reaction score
Got a Chinese SKS I am trying to identify. Never seen one marked this way and the only other one I can find on the internet seems to have them stumped as well.

Receiver is marked like this (pic from the other thread, but mine is the same except the last few of the serial of course)

i234.photobucket.com_albums_ee148_beachbum762_a_51.jpg

56 (Chinese writing) Square 0303 21 million serial number.

It is a short lug screw in barrel with two piece gas tube, so I know it was built 1967 to 1980, but there are no other marks on the gun (besides the import stamp) and the stock is about the most gorgeous blonde wood stock I have ever seen on a Chinese SKS. The gun is also still covered in cosmoline.

Did I stumble onto one of the "fabled" CIA SKS?

Norinco type 56? What's special about it? Im asking because I never really got serious with any SKSs, not being an ass.

Here is a very close serial number. The three Chinese characters represent "Type 56". Here you have numbers for two of the characters and a single character for "Type".

Last edited:

Yep, that is one of the three I have been able to find. All 56 0303 21 million serials. That one is within a couple hundred of mine, although the others are all beat to hell surplus and mine look unissued new.

I mean, even if it is super rare, it's still a fringen Chinese SKS. Just never seen one like this before.

Collecting SKSs is fascinating because of the markings, variations, arsenals, etc. This is different, but I do not believe it to have any more value to a collector. It would represent a variation amonst the many dozens of variations. Well, maybe a little more.............:)

Last edited:
Collecting SKSs is fascinating because of the markings, variations, arsenals, etc. This is different, but I do not believe it to have any more value to a collector. It would represent a variation amonst the many dozens of variations.

Oh, I have no illusions that this is some super rare super valuable gun. As I said, at the end of the day it is still a Chinese SKS.

In for this. I've heard of type D, type M, regular 56s, Russian, and a few other small countries but not the CIA.

:tinfoil3::tinfoil3::tinfoil3:

The fabled CIA SKS was a joke from the Century Guns that were marked CIA ( Century International Arms.). I'm sure your grandfather told that joke a bunch back in the day like my dad did. How is Paul BTW?

Back
Top Bottom