Who Has the Honor and Privlelge of Providing Home-Hospice for an Aging Parent

View attachment 2695446
My wife's Uncle George passed away the first week of June at 99. He lived with us for only six weeks or so after falling and hurting his back. It was an honor just to know him. We have a diary of his that begins on Christmas Day 1942, he is on a troopship headed to the south Pacific. His entries are pretty short and sweet, and far from an entry for every day, but very entertaining. One simply says "20mm gun practice." I thought that was probably a ship mounted gun. Nope, he explained it was one that they were going to be carrying into combat. He said they threw a bunch of crates off the back of the ship and blasted away to sink them.
RIP Uncle George. Semper Fi!

I think it was about 10 years ago that my wife's mother moved in with us at the onset of her dementia. Six years later she passed away.
My wife did get a lot of help from her sister, but six years of 24/7 care was one hell of a commitment. Can't really say that I could have done that for my folks, I don't know.
Semper Fi to your Uncle George!

My dad was also a WWII vet. Army Air Corp. stationed in Africa. In this pic he was 26 or 27. Hard for me to believe. Looks like he was having fun.
F7AD85E7-35FA-4D8C-90F0-C26532CBD48D.jpeg

Attachments

• 5512DC44-8C95-45C1-A072-877D5F39F447.jpeg
    5512DC44-8C95-45C1-A072-877D5F39F447.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 14
My dad was also a WWII vet. Army Air Corp. stationed in Africa. In this pic he was 26 or 27. Hard for me to believe. Looks like he was having fun. View attachment 2695692
Seems like those dudes were pretty good at figurin out how to have a good time no matter what they were doing. Thats what i miss about my buddy.

Yep he never talked about his service with me. My oldest boy sent me that pic the day he died. By looking at old photos I do know he was stationed around the pyramids.
Crazy... i would've loved to have seen the world back then, although not like that. Terrible circumstances but some of those guys saw parts of the earth none of us will(because its simply not like that anymore). And its not as if they could google it and know all about it. That was all first hand livin!

I'll go first: He doesn't know for sure how old he is as no records are kept in Indiana cornfields however he joined the marines at the close of WWII. Arthur W. Hamilton, USMC, left, gran-daughter Sara, daughter Cindi, son in law Moose, and great grand-daughter Gracelyn. Still going strong. ou-rah!
View attachment 2694038
A visiting nurse asked him yesterday after discussing his health and current events, and wanting him to take another medicine (he takes none now), how much longer he wanted to live. His reply..."I am a Marine, I have not been given permission to die"

A visiting nurse asked him yesterday after discussing his health and current events, and wanting him to take another medicine (he takes none now), how much longer he wanted to live. His reply..."I am a Marine, I have not been given permission to die"

Let your Dad know Hard Core Devil Dogs like him motivate this Old Sailor to keep "carrying the flag" and we will preserve this nation in his honor.

Back
Top Bottom