Who Has the Honor and Privlelge of Providing Home-Hospice for an Aging Parent

Thanks to all who responded. If you look at the photo in the original post, the T shirt little Gracelyn is wearing says it all. After his wife of 68 years passed, his MD gave him maybe 2 weeks. We brought him down here and over a year later, partly due to Gracelyn's unconditional love, he soldiers on without complaint.

Dad was diagnosed with cancer in August 2017 . He had taken care of Mom who had COPD, dementia and diabetes for 10 years prior and never let on how much "care" that took. After his diagnosis, there was always one of us 7 kids at the house all the time, except for a short period where he got better from Thanksgiving to Christmas 2017. He passed on June 9, 2018 at almost exact high noon.

After Dad passed, we tried to give Mom the same love and care Dad gave, but she fell in late September 2019 and passed on October 4, 2019 in the same room of the house where Dad passed almost 16 months earlier. We promised both of them to never put them in a home and it was a promise we kept.

Providing "hospice" care for a parent is tough. All your life Mom and Dad are the strong and the wise, and suddenly you have to do for them like they are a child. You never regret being there for them after they are gone, but during it is definitely a strain.

I just recently bought the house and property that was Mom's and I still say "I am going to Mom's house" . This year is the first year I have had a garden where Dad and I planted for many years. Still brings tears to my eyes thinking about all the good times in that little 1000 sq ft house where Mom and Dad raised 7 kids and tried to make productive adults out of us all.

20180302_135538-COLLAGE.jpg

My wife's Uncle George passed away the first week of June at 99. He lived with us for only six weeks or so after falling and hurting his back. It was an honor just to know him. We have a diary of his that begins on Christmas Day 1942, he is on a troopship headed to the south Pacific. His entries are pretty short and sweet, and far from an entry for every day, but very entertaining. One simply says "20mm gun practice." I thought that was probably a ship mounted gun. Nope, he explained it was one that they were going to be carrying into combat. He said they threw a bunch of crates off the back of the ship and blasted away to sink them.
RIP Uncle George. Semper Fi!

I think it was about 10 years ago that my wife's mother moved in with us at the onset of her dementia. Six years later she passed away.
My wife did get a lot of help from her sister, but six years of 24/7 care was one hell of a commitment. Can't really say that I could have done that for my folks, I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom