• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When to buy a car.

I was curious so I took my 15 Tacoma pro 70,000 miles to Carmax for a quite. Paid 31000 for it in 16. Carnac offered 25000.
Thats a pretty low offer, the market must be cooling. You could likely sell that private party right now for 4-5k more than you paid for it. I was offered more than I paid for mine a couple of months ago.

Thats a pretty low offer, the market must be cooling. You could likely sell that private party right now for 4-5k more than you paid for it. I was offered more than I paid for mine a couple of months ago.
Part of me wants to sale just for something different. Stopped by Cobb Toyota and they only had 4 Tacoma’s on the lot. They are selling at Msrp. I kinda like the Ford Ranger Tremor but also want to see the new designed Frontier but don’t know when they are actually going to be shipping

Thats actually a lower discount off sticker for most domestic trucks, when the market is normal and I am looking at sticker prices, I start my discussion price at 20-25% off sticker. When they are jammed loaded with trucks and trying to hit quotas the unit moving is almost as important to them as the margin. If more people started telling them that this is what I am going to pay, you might start taking all the "negotiation" BS out of the buying process and it might just be a good experience buying a car again instead of having to endure a bunch of half wit desperate sales people that don't know what they are talking about.

And for goodness sake people, stop telling the dealer you have a vehicle to trade until you get to the price you want to pay for the new one!!!!.....
That's all good when negotiating the price before bringing in the trade. However, get ready to hear auction price on your trade. Dealers will happily do that but now you working wholesale to wholesale vs. retail to retail. Don't think for one minute you are going to get full retail for your and get a new one at wholesale. Dealers would close in six months if they worked that way all the time. Be prepared to glue yourself to the seat when the salesman comes out with the first offer. Its going to offend you but that's the way you wanted to play. Strip all the profit off the new one and give me all I want for my trade. It just doesn't work that way. You will get a wholesale figure for your trade. If they can make the deal they will try but at some point the is just no profit for the dealer. They are not going to make a sale for peanuts. There has to be some justification for making a sale or there won't be one.

That's all good when negotiating the price before bringing in the trade. However, get ready to hear auction price on your trade. Dealers will happily do that but now you working wholesale to wholesale vs. retail to retail. Don't think for one minute you are going to get full retail for your and get a new one at wholesale. Dealers would close in six months if they worked that way all the time. Be prepared to glue yourself to the seat when the salesman comes out with the first offer. Its going to offend you but that's the way you wanted to play. Strip all the profit off the new one and give me all I want for my trade. It just doesn't work that way. You will get a wholesale figure for your trade. If they can make the deal they will try but at some point the is just no profit for the dealer. They are not going to make a sale for peanuts. There has to be some justification for making a sale or there won't be one.
Oh I am aware, I have been told more than once....sorry sir, we just cannot make a deal with you....I usually go to the dealer that I wasn't going to buy a car from anyway and basically get them to tell me they won't sell me the vehicle. Then I know where the correct price is, and I just go to the dealer I wanted to buy it from in the first place and we have a good price to start with and enjoy our day. Poor Marietta Toyota still hasn't figured it out after 4 "conversations" over the years...lol....Cobb County Toyota gets my business most of the time...lol

I always know what the fair price for my trade is and have a little flexibility built in, I also know that you will not get the best price for the vehicle if you start the conversation out with your trade....

I just traded my 2015 Ram 1500 V6 Quad Cab 2WD a couple of weeks ago. Blue book was a conservative 6,000, since it had some damage and the mileage was over 200,000, and I owed 8,000. First dealer offered me 5,000 on the trade, but also didn't really have what I was looking for, which was a newer Crew Cab with the Bighorn package. 2nd dealer was willing to just buy out my trade and they had a truck I wanted, but just couldn't get the payment down to where I needed it. Took it to the 3rd dealer handed him the quote from the 2nd dealer and gave him where I needed to be at, and 15 mins later he handed me the price for what I needed to be at. I got what I wanted and he got what he wanted, easiest car transaction I have ever had. They gave me 13,000 in trade for the truck, that was nowhere near what it was worth.

I just traded my 2015 Ram 1500 V6 Quad Cab 2WD a couple of weeks ago. Blue book was a conservative 6,000, since it had some damage and the mileage was over 200,000, and I owed 8,000. First dealer offered me 5,000 on the trade, but also didn't really have what I was looking for, which was a newer Crew Cab with the Bighorn package. 2nd dealer was willing to just buy out my trade and they had a truck I wanted, but just couldn't get the payment down to where I needed it. Took it to the 3rd dealer handed him the quote from the 2nd dealer and gave him where I needed to be at, and 15 mins later he handed me the price for what I needed to be at. I got what I wanted and he got what he wanted, easiest car transaction I have ever had. They gave me 13,000 in trade for the truck, that was nowhere near what it was worth.
You got into that secret money. Humv, they just wanted that's interest pit off the lot. What was the sticker priced, had to be in the high 50's or low 60's.

Back
Top Bottom