• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Curious where people draw the line money wise when it comes to care for your dog?

There is an old amusing story of a discussion between a dog and a cat about their human: The Dog says, "Our human feeds us, cares for us, cleans up after us and makes sure we are happy. He must be God."
The cat says, "He feeds me when I say so. He cleans up my droppings when I need him to. He lets me out whenever I say so and makes sure my life is perfect. I Am God."
:thumb:
Yep, that's about it. And by the way, the cat lets you live in their house. And don't you forget it. Now go to work and keep me up........

I used to say I had a $1000 limit on a pet. Of course back then I honestly couldn’t have afforded a $1000 vet bill so it was probably a bit more than I would have actually spent.

About 6 years ago two of my one of my bostons got beat to hell by my other two because he wouldn’t quit trying to mount them. When the 24 hour emergency vet told me they could save him and quoted me $8500 I didn’t even think twice. I pulled out the ol credit card and swiped him a ticket into the OR where he died 5 minutes in.

They refunded all but the visit fee and the drugs/treatments they had given him up to his death. Ended up being about $1500 total.

I would like to say I would never spend that much again, but I have a 14 year old Boston currently slowly swirling the drain that I would pay almost anything to make him new again and give me another 14 years.

would like to say I would never spend that much again, but I have a 14 year old Boston currently slowly swirling the drain that I would pay almost anything to make him new again and give me another 14 years.
I wish they lived longer than us. What a blessing to have them at all.

image.jpg

$5 … tops. I can’t stand this mutt. 🤣

Knowing that Vets use the love people have for their animals against them to convince them to do cancer treatments, diabetic shots, dialysis and many more treatments normally performed on humans.

Where do you draw the line at?
$500
$1000
$2000
$4000
$5000
$10000+

I personally spent $1500 on a dog that was a 8yr old family pet. He died anyway.
Depends on your love for the dog and your own personal abilities to provide care.

We adopted a German Shepherd from an ODT'r last November after both our boys passed unexpectedly. She was only 1.5 years old and we knew she would need to be spayed. She went into heat in January and wasn't acting quite right, just laying around all glassy eyed. I knew something wasn't right. Took her to the vet and found out she had an infected uterus and a temp of 106. The vet said she needed emergency surgery RIGHT NOW. Cost $2,000. She's fine now and I'd do it all over again. Twice.

If you search back through older threads you MIGHT find my thread about my older daughter's Husky having an emergency C section to birth Pitbull puppies. It wound up as an episode of Critter Fixers that I didn't approve of. Anyway both my daughters were in it. The vet did a **** sorry job and sent the mother home the same day. She had to have more staples two days later. She died at the Houston Co Vet ER the following Sunday. My wife bottle fed the surviving three puppies for about two weeks. It was just like having newborns in the house. I got really lucky and adopted those puppies to members here.
But the point here is I paid for an emergency C section along with another vet visit for more staples that I shouldn't have had to pay for. Then I paid for a visit to the vet ER where the mother died anyway. So...I'm NOT cool with most vets.
I don't think I'd trust those guys with a pet goldfish. Finding a good vet is hard.
I'm currently looking for a new one myself after mine just quit without notice.
Apparently there's a vet shortage in this country as people are having less children and more pets.

I might be in the minority, but I love my dogs like my kids. Hell my dogs are more loving and loyal to me than most friends/family are. Having said that I've shelled out about $4k once on my female Pyrenes when she got her jaw broken as a pup. That's with initial surgery and follow-up visits. She's 2 1/2 now and goes everywhere with me, including in the truck running errands, etc. People love seeing this giant dog sitting in the passenger seat like a person :lol:

How do you know when someone doesn't like cats? Don't worry, they'll f-n tell you. No one hates on cats more than dog people. Even cat people don't hate on dogs as much as dog people hate on cats. Rant over.

As much as I love my cat, I couldn't put a number on him until that time comes. I guess as much as I could afford. I definitely wouldn't want to prolong any suffering just to keep him alive for my own personal emotions.

Back
Top Bottom