What's the problem with Taurus??!

I have a pt1911 that shoots better and has more options than my colt or two kimbers. Its almost depressing

I will put my kimber up against that pt1911 anyday, hell any taurus for that matter(I also own a pt1911 and a taurus 357)...but to save my life, I will put my glock up against anyfirearm I own!

Okay. I'm not going to try to stir the pot here, just going to give my own personal experience. I cannot speak personally for Taurus semi-autos. Having grown up in a Ruger Household (and some Smith's) I was more than familiar with the excellent build quality of Ruger Revolvers. But I like a lot of people like to venture out there sometimes and experiment with different makes of firearms. So I bought a brand new 85 UL about a year or so ago.
Upon first firing the revolver I was more than pleased with just how accurate I was with both the SA and DA of the gun. After about 20-30 rounds it went downhill fast. I started noticing that sometimes the cylinder was not engaging properly. Then when the crane would finally close you could see that the frame of the revolver and the surface of the crane were not flush with one another.
It was then (with the weapon unloaded) that I noticed that the gun would still dry fire even with the cylinder not lined up with the barrel and the crane assembly not fully flush with the frame.:eek: So say what you want about manufacturer warranty but I'm pretty sure Taurus would not be able to replace my hand.
With this the cylinder would either free spin or lock-up. Even after I was finally able to get the frame and crane to sit flush this issue with the cylinder would occur. When the crane would no longer swing open I took the revolver as it was (fully loaded and crane not properly seated) home for further inspection. After some filing (the frame and cylinder were making contact forcing the crane to sit lop-sided) I was finally able to correct this issue. I still noticed that occasionally due to poor tolerances that the cylinder would sometimes make contact with the barrel not allowing the cylinder to turn. After this I swore never again and practically gave the thing away.
So here's my conclusion:
Would I own a Taurus for plinking / recreation? Yes.
Would I conceal carry and trust my life with one? No!

P.S. A co-worker of mine had the exact same problem with the exact same model. Bad run perhaps.

Last edited:
I will put my kimber up against that pt1911 anyday, hell any taurus for that matter(I also own a pt1911 and a taurus 357)...but to save my life, I will put my glock up against anyfirearm I own!

It's funny how different people's experiences can be with different brands. I've owned dozens of handguns over the past 20 yrs and I've just got to say that my last Kimber was the most unreliable piece of crap I've ever had the misfortune of owning, and I'd trust my life to a HiPoint before I'd reach for another Kimber.

I have owned and happen to love Taurus and never had a problem out of them..........by the same token i have owned some glocks and hated them! and lets take the smith and wesson sigma every gun that taurus makes is better than a sigma.....and lets say a guy with a kimber 1911 that happens to own a taurus 1911 as well... even though he owns them both and they may shoot just as good as each other hes never gonna say that that 500.00 taurus is just as good as his 1300.00 kimber (even though he carrys his taurus) you know to keep from getting holster wear....lol

Ever since I had a PT140 that failed to return to battery after EVERY shot and gave me NIGHTMARES (literally), I have never gone back to Taurus. I don't doubt they make some good weapons. I just can't trust them.

my PT140 worked like a champ it would feed any thing you put in it ...reloads, fmj, jhp it didnt matter bang bang every time and on the mark every time..

It's funny how different people's experiences can be with different brands. I've owned dozens of handguns over the past 20 yrs and I've just got to say that my last Kimber was the most unreliable piece of crap I've ever had the misfortune of owning, and I'd trust my life to a HiPoint before I'd reach for another Kimber.

Note*- I agree with you that some people have different experiences with brands and styles, but as far as my kimbers go,I consider them fancy range guns that sure are nice to look at and usually hold pretty tight groups....my $500 springfield preforms as well or better than my kimbers....As far as trusting my life with one, a 1911 would not my first choice but likeany firearm will do the job...But like I said I "TRUST" my glock or any glock for that matter

Clay,
I have not read the previous 5 pages but will get right to the point and answer your question. When I was younger I bought several of their firearms within a couple of years,both semi and revolvers. Each and every one of them has broken or crapped out on me. Their quality is far worse than an occasional lemon
Their quality just plain sucks.

Just keep shooting the two you own and you too will become wiser, and will understand no trade and why they are worth about half the second you walk out the door with em. (one of mine was a total titanium UL)

I have a 24/7 and had a modle 85 revolver and loved it hell I carry my 24/7 over the xd I have also and have had a ruger p94 and a charter arms .38 but If I had to pick one gun it would be my 24/7

Back
Top Bottom