• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is the law on knife carrying?

Benhad

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
140   2
Reaction score
image.png
This is what I found but I don't know if it's old or revised since it was posted

http://www.knifeup.com/georgia-knife-laws/

Most everything is legal to own. Carry open and conceal is legal for knife blades under 5". Knives with blades 5" and over, fixed or folder, are treated the same as a handgun. In home, in business and in vehicle legal to have any length.

To carry blades 5" and over, either open or concealed, you need a GWL.

http://www.knifeup.com/georgia-knife-laws/

Most everything is legal to own. Carry open and conceal is legal for knife blades under 5". Knives with blades 5" and over, fixed or folder, are treated the same as a handgun. In home, in business and in vehicle legal to have any length.

To carry blades 5" and over, either open or concealed, you need a GWL.

That about sums it up. These people on other forums don't know jack

Depends on where you are. Several metro areas have city ordinances that govern what you can carry as far as knives. the statute posted at the top of this thread is a local statute and not a Ga state law. Pays to know what the law is where you are. Regardless though, as a cop I can tell you laws like these only are used in connection with others, meaning you have draw my attention with some other crime, it's not something we hunt for unless we are securing a facility, generally speaking.

Depends on where you are. Several metro areas have city ordinances that govern what you can carry as far as knives. the statute posted at the top of this thread is a local statute and not a Ga state law. Pays to know what the law is where you are. Regardless though, as a cop I can tell you laws like these only are used in connection with others, meaning you have draw my attention with some other crime, it's not something we hunt for unless we are securing a facility, generally speaking.

Thank you sir! Knowing is asking if you don't know...

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-136 (2012)

§ 16-11-136. Restrictions on possession, manufacture, sale, or transfer of knives

Except for restrictions in courthouses and government buildings, no county, municipality, or consolidated government shall, by rule or ordinance, constrain the possession, manufacture, sale, or transfer of a knife more restrictively than the provisions of this part.

Starting in July 1st, 2012, local knife laws are no longer in effect. What this means is that you can travel from city to city without worrying whether a knife that is legal in your city is legal in the next town over. For example, it was legal to a 4 inch pocket knife in Columbus but, if you drove into Atlanta, you would be breaking Atlanta city law. Preemptive knife laws simplify the legal system a lot and a few other states, like Arizona, have preemptive knife laws as well.

That about sums it up. These people on other forums don't know jack
Yeah that's really about it. I used to frequent a place in Warn Robins called Bert's Blades. He had a little of everything there. The owner told me that the state of Georgia doesn't give a damn about switchblades OTF or side opening, butterfly knives, gravity knives etc. All they care about is blade length. If it's 5" or more you need to have it exposed a sheath on your belt.

Yeah that's really about it. I used to frequent a place in Warn Robins called Bert's Blades. He had a little of everything there. The owner told me that the state of Georgia doesn't give a damn about switchblades OTF or side opening, butterfly knives, gravity knives etc. All they care about is blade length. If it's 5" or more you need to have it exposed a sheath on your belt.

I pass by there everyday and have never stopped in. Thanks for reminding me. Second thought, I don't really need another addiction...

Back
Top Bottom