• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is the law on knife carrying?

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-136 (2012)

§ 16-11-136. Restrictions on possession, manufacture, sale, or transfer of knives

Except for restrictions in courthouses and government buildings, no county, municipality, or consolidated government shall, by rule or ordinance, constrain the possession, manufacture, sale, or transfer of a knife more restrictively than the provisions of this part.

Starting in July 1st, 2012, local knife laws are no longer in effect. What this means is that you can travel from city to city without worrying whether a knife that is legal in your city is legal in the next town over. For example, it was legal to a 4 inch pocket knife in Columbus but, if you drove into Atlanta, you would be breaking Atlanta city law. Preemptive knife laws simplify the legal system a lot and a few other states, like Arizona, have preemptive knife laws as well.

Yep, you just schooled me. My city still has its ordinance on the books and I just verified it's there, prior to today I had not seen this code section. I appreciate it.

I pass by there evQVCnd have never stopped in. Thanks for reminding me. Second thought, I don't really need another addiction...
It's an even mix of the cheap Chinese junk like you would've seen on QVC years ago and brand name quality stuff. And he's reasonably priced on all of it.

I just saw a guy stopping by a convenience store in cumming wearing (4) knives openly carried:
* two folding clippy knives,
* a fixed blade knife in a belt sheath,
* and a boot knife clipped to his boot on the outside -- the outside of his ankle.

Probably more folded and in his pockets.
Maybe one around his neck too. I'm guessing.

He was wearing eight-pocket black cargo pants and black paramilitary boots.
Dude must love knives.

I just saw a guy stopping by a convenience store in cumming wearing (4) knives openly carried:
* two folding clippy knives,
* a fixed blade knife in a belt sheath,
* and a boot knife clipped to his boot on the outside -- the outside of his ankle.

Probably more folded and in his pockets.
Maybe one around his neck too. I'm guessing.

He was wearing eight-pocket black cargo pants and black paramilitary boots.
Dude must love knives.

A Sharp Dressed Man no doubt

A Sharp Dressed Man no doubt
giphy (26).gif

Back
Top Bottom